[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

San Francisco, CA Market Street Streetcar Ride - 1905 And 2005 [Videos]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: San Francisco, CA Market Street Streetcar Ride - 1905 And 2005 [Videos]   2010-02-07, 8:14 am

Here are a couple of awesome videos which really display the change in human lifestyle over time. Both videos are set on a streetcar going down the same street, only one is from 1905 and the other is from 2005. It's pretty awesome. I love videos and pictures like this that compare then & now aspects.

Keep in mind that the reason the street looks so much narrower in the 2005 video from the 1905 one is because of that giant 1906 San Francisco earthquake/fire which destroyed most of the city. Many of the buildings (and probably people too... Sad) you see in the 1905 video are gone only one year later. The building at the far end of the street off in the distance is there in both videos. I own a hardcover book that was published back in the 1950's (it's falling apart now - I should really scan it into digital format) about the 1906 San Fran earthquake, complete with a lengthy write-up and plenty of before/during/after photos taken of the city. It's one of my favorite books ever. (BTW, for those who don't know about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, Google it. It was fucking crazy!)

1905 San Francisco Streetcar Ride Down Market Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINOxRxze9k

2005 San Francisco Streetcar Ride Down Market Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqcz_tllnwM

I love how in the 1905 video there is a lot of hustle & bustle in the street, but there really seems to be no right of way established whatsoever. People just dart in and cut out whenever they feel like it. First impressions of the 2005 video? Foliage!

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: San Francisco, CA Market Street Streetcar Ride - 1905 And 2005 [Videos]   2010-02-07, 1:19 pm

side walks are much wider. and the cars have gotten bigger. I miss california.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

San Francisco, CA Market Street Streetcar Ride - 1905 And 2005 [Videos]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ECTOs Community Forums :: Hangout :: Entertainment Hotspot-