[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-21, 11:26 am

My cable modem has been randomly resetting itself for the better part of a year. Annoying, but manageable. Goes down then almost immediately comes right back up. However, lately it seems that whatever has been affecting it is getting worse. Whenever I stress my connection's bandwidth for several minutes at a time (ie. near-maxing out my download speeds) the connection just gives out and the modem resets. For anyone who remembers, these are the instances that I've been noting down on paper.

Anyways, I just got off the phone with the Time Warner Roadrunner people and Wednesday from 10am-12pm they're coming here to take a look at it. Time to fix this shit once and for all. I just know it's going to end up with the service guy outside on the telephone pole because that is what their solution for everything is. ("I'm going to go grab the ladder and check your connection plates outside...") IMO, that is where the root lies anyway. There is a problem in the connection somewhere. Every couple of years the weather deteriorates the equipment outside and it needs replacing. I know it can't be my computer as I just freshly installed Windows 7 a week and a half ago (also the fact that it was happening on WinXP too). Could also just be a POS cable modem which needs replacing. We'll see....

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-21, 12:52 pm

That's Super!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-21, 2:54 pm

If your renting the modem from them, ask for a newer one. A couple years back I was having issues getting disconnected a lot with Comcast. The modem was old to begin with so I asked for a replacement of the newest Motorola Surfboard modems they had. Sure enough, It fixed the problem.

Now I'm on AT&T Uverse and I have to say it is one of the most solid connection iv had so far.

Scott Ware
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-21, 3:04 pm

Reave wrote:
Now I'm on AT&T Uverse and I have to say it is one of the most solid connection iv had so far.

This makes me happy. I've wanted to upgrade to Uverse for quite some time now, but was leery because the current SBC I'm on sucks balls. Of course, now they need to add Uverse to my damn area. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-23, 10:45 am

Turns out that it's a problem on their end, not mine, and Time Warner has encountered increased modem resetting over the past week or two. The cable guy said that resetting modems is what he's mainly been servicing over the past week. My increased resets aren't just an isolated problem specifically affecting me. TW is still trying to figure out what the cause is, but they think it's because they've just installed new hardware and software to handle better bandwidth speeds (and yeah, it seems I max out my bandwidth a HELL of a lot faster lately than I ever used to, but I thought that was due to Windows 7), and something went awry because of that. They just need to pinpoint the root of the widespread resetting modems and fix it.

The cable guy checked all my signals and wires and said everything was in great shape. I guess I'm going to have to live with it for a bit longer and see if TW clears it up.

...And yes, he did get up on my pole. Felt good, man. Smile

Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   2010-06-26, 11:49 am

The only thing I hate about when those reps come out is that you try and tell them that you know where the problem lies, namely the modem, and they will sit there and look into firmware updates, firewall status and such. Although guess that's just how they are trained.

Bright House supplies shitty modems...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole   

Back to top Go down

So I basically just asked a dude to get on my pole

View previous topic View next topic Back to top