Share | 

We felt an earthquake today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-23, 6:27 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iOu4xYTxm4L6g3NH5qp44IhQsCtAD9GH7RM80

http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&ncl=dw6FF4ia7uxYbbM_zkg1IufwAGU8M&topic=w

This afternoon there was a 5.0 earthquake centered way over by Toronto, Canada that was felt all over the northeast. People here could feel the ground shaking. Local news has reports of downtown Albany skyscrapers swaying and shit with people evacuating. Unfortunately I was asleep at the time it hit (damn cable guy visit this morning tired me out) and missed it. The reason why it was felt all over the northeast even due to its (relatively) small measurement was due to how shallow it hit.

I bet Milligrams and Finch might've had a better chance to feel it than me considering where they live in upstate NY. So guys, anything?

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-23, 6:32 pm

Yea i was at work in syracuse. And people in the building felt it. i texted a friend that was back in pulaski and they said they felt it to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-23, 7:42 pm

I didn't feel shit and people in Cleveland that I know said they felt it... I'm closer to Toronto than them too! Haha I dunno I was at work though and maybe was on the elevator at the time? Haha I was vacuuming around 1:45... hmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Khari
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-24, 6:41 pm

A 5? Not really very exciting :p

Sounds like those buildings have crappy earthquake safety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-24, 7:09 pm

Khari wrote:
A 5? Not really very exciting :p

Sounds like those buildings have crappy earthquake safety.

It's the east coast of North America. Despite the recent discovery of a huge new faultline running up the east coast of the U.S., earthquakes are rare over this way, and earthquake-safe structures aren't really common. A decently-sized earthquake near an east coast urban area stands a good chance of doing major damage as compared to California, who gets 5.xx earthquakes fairly often and shrugs them off like us east coasters do snowstorms.

One of the reasons why I like watching that 1905 Streetcar Ride Down San Francisco's Market Street is that only a year later, the big SF earthquake of 1906 hit and turned that entire street to rubble. Hell, many of the people in that video probably didn't even make it through that quake. I have an old hardcover book from the 1950's about that particular quake, with tons of pictures. :) Market Street (and SF in general) was rebuilt differently after the 1906 quake and resulting fires destroyed most of the city. The 2005 Streetcar Ride video shows just how different (thinner) Market Street, San Francisco is today compared to its 1905 counterpart.

Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-25, 2:12 am

Oh wow, I had no idea earthquakes were so rare! Our entire country runs on a fault line, so it's strange to think of places with virtually no earthquakes. There was a 6.8 quake where my parents live a few years ago, most places were structurally fine afterwards, eek the thought of working in a tall building that isn't quake safe... freaky.

Guess it's like it doesn't snow here, other than way down south, so a snowstorm would be pretty crazy. I think I've seen snow once ever in my life, other than on mountains, and it was a crappy icey snow that lasted 5 mins then melted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mio
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-25, 7:04 am

I smell 2 0 1 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-25, 7:52 am

Yeah, Khari. The last earthquake we had around here I was in 8th grade. That was 2001 I believe. Lol And it was like... a 2 or something. Haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Ware
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   2010-06-25, 10:19 am

Khari wrote:
Guess it's like it doesn't snow here, other than way down south, so a snowstorm would be pretty crazy. I think I've seen snow once ever in my life, other than on mountains, and it was a crappy icey snow that lasted 5 mins then melted.

So weird to hear that it's snows "down south". Here it's the opposite. And I know it's supposed to be that way with the hemispheres and all. Still kind of weird to hear/read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We felt an earthquake today   

Back to top Go down

We felt an earthquake today

View previous topic View next topic Back to top