Share | 

Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 8:34 pm

Sometimes I really can't stand Hollywood and it's constant remakes. If a film is 10-20 years old, perhaps a remake would be good, for nostalgia's sake, or to give an updated reboot to a franchise. however, what I really don't get is why anybody felt there was a need to remake one of the best films I've ever seen, Let The Right One In. This Swedish vampire film (don't worry, it's not the 'usual' vampire film) was released 2 years ago, and, in my eyes, really did not need a remake, especially not after such a short period! The American remake, named Let Me In (what, can't Hollywood cope with five word titles?) is being released sometime this year, starring Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee (the most detestable looking child I've seen in years, btw) as Abby and Owen (not even using the original names, I see.. Eli and Oskar). I don't even dislike Chloe as an actress, I thoroughly enjoyed her performance in Kick-Ass and (500) days of summer (small as that part may have been) but I know, from having read the book and seen the Swedish film on multiple occasions that she is absolutely NOT the right actress for the part! And as for this Kodi kid.. well, I won't even go into that.

I find myself asking, why remake it when you could promote the original Swedish version and screen that instead? Not only would it provide a more real and true version of the original story (which was adapted from the book) it would also feel more authentic due to the Swedish language spoken. Well, I hear you say, some people don't like reading subtitles! That's a fair point, but (and I'm sorry for comparing a new, unheard of film to less recent films here) would you ask to see an english language version of City of God, or Amelie? How about an english 'Oldboy'? I realise many of you may not have seen the films I'm mentioning (heck, even I haven't seen Amelie, I don't even know how popular it is) but surely that just illustrates the point further? These great films just need a little advertising push in the US/UK/other western countries and hey presto- you've got great films being marketed to large audiences without having to remake them, spoiling something of the authenticity and realism (sort of) of the original thing. I realise that what I've said here may give out many different messages at once, or simply be a completely garbled wall-of-text of nothingness, but to be honest I just needed to get all this out. It truly enrages me when people just disrespect other's ideas, stories, etc. in a way like this. Because to me, that's all it is. One giant disrespect to John Ajvide Lindqvist (author of the book) and Tomas Alfredson (director).
If you read this all, thanks. I'd appreciate any opinions, and would particularly like to hear some from the other side of the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MCeltric08
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 8:37 pm

Dude, don't take this the wrong way at all, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I never got around to seeing it when we talked about it. But I do agree. Subtitles + Advertising = Win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 8:46 pm

MCeltric08 wrote:
Dude, don't take this the wrong way at all, but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I never got around to seeing it when we talked about it. But I do agree. Subtitles + Advertising = Win.

Why is it that you're looking forward to seeing it? Would you prefer to see the remake over the original and if so why? I'm very interested to know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:05 pm

I hear rumblings that Hollywood wants to remake the Back To The Future movies, to which I say "meh".

Remakes are good if the original versions aren't up to par with where they could be. For example, there is a remake in the works for The Never Ending Story, but this time they're going to follow the book a lot better. IIRC, the 80's version only followed like half of the book or something, with the sequel picking up where it left off. It wasn't as dark as the book either.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:13 pm

Look at it as a kind of business. Someone wants to make cash so they create (or remake) a movie. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:18 pm

YOu forgot one that almost everyone at least KNOWS about. Passion of the Christ. LOL That was subtitled. How many people saw that? A CRAP TON.

Link, you forget, Americans are lazy and don't like to read. Sad, but true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:32 pm

I thought 500 Days Of Summer was a very overrated movie.

I still haven't seen Amelie, although I know I'd like it. It's supposedly one of those cheery feel-good movies.

I generally don't watch too many movies with subtitles (ie. foreign films) but that's moreso because there is a wide-enough variety of english-speaking movies/tv shows to choose from. It's one of those genres that I push onto the backburner unless there's something I really want to see. (For example, Pan's Labyrinth a couple of years ago.) I want to watch the original Let The Right One In (have only heard amazing things about this movie), but it's one of those movies I simply haven't gotten around to watching yet. Maybe soon.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love a good English speaking film for sure, but there's just something about foreign language films that, for me, provides an extra amount of.. magic, another layer of mystery and excitement to the backstory. That's just me though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-01, 9:54 pm

Link Of The Desert wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love a good English speaking film for sure, but there's just something about foreign language films that, for me, provides an extra amount of.. magic, another layer of mystery and excitement to the backstory. That's just me though.

If it's allowed viewing in your country, I suggest you check out the foreign-language movie Lilya 4 Ever (free on Google Videos):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2818582001271029300#

Wiki page for Lilya 4 Ever

It's about a teenage girl kidnapped into the human trafficking black market. There have been lots of movies and documentaries about this subject, but this one is pretty good. Really captures that eerie sad feeling of the circumstance very well. It's based off of a true story.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-03, 1:33 pm

I hate the current Hollywood "screenwriters". They're terrible and completely unoriginal. Makes me truly want to write a script. I know it would sell. Damn my GW addiction
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   2010-09-03, 5:44 pm

Amelie is definitely worth watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?   

Back to top Go down

Does Hollywood WANT me to hate it?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ECTOs Community Forums :: Hangout :: Entertainment Hotspot-