[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 4:22 am

Recruitment ads are due to go up, but given the impending crisis with TinyPic, it's going to have to wait a day or maybe 'til the end of the weekend until I see just wtf I'm going to be dealing with. If I'm going to have to re-upload the recruitment ad images elsewhere (as well as all of the other forum images), I might see about just putting up a barebones recruitment ad instead of our drawn-out one.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2010-09-24, 4:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 4:27 am

What happened with Tinypic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Forum Images Status & Tinypic   2010-09-24, 4:37 am

Peter wrote:
What happened with Tinypic?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/23/tinypic-revolt/

Tinypic is considering cutting off uploading AND external viewing access to uploaded images to non-U.S. internet users. That's a MAJOR problem for us seeing as almost every single image from the forums theme and in my image-heavy threads (like our recruitment ad) was uploaded to TinyPic.

In the event I have to re-upload all of the forum images, it won't be a problem as I have them all backed up. We can't afford to have our forums 'flair' only visible to the U.S. crowd and nobody else. There are alternatives to Tinypic, yes, but it's going to take some time to get them all re-uploaded. For anyone who has been around for years and remembers the [FU] forums, we went through this same ordeal back when FileHive.com was having problems.

EDIT: Apparently the backlash is already making them change their minds (what did you think would happen, you idiots?), so we'll give it a few days to see how it all shakes out before doing anything drastic. I don't want to have a borked recruitment ad up on Guru during our first-few recruiting days.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2010-09-24, 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 4:41 am

If you need help in uploading, let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 4:51 am

Peter wrote:
If you need help in uploading, let me know.

I'll be alright, I think. There's one alternative I will check out: imgur.com. It has browser extensions to speed up the uploading. I may just switch regardless, at least from now on. Tinypic is owned by the PhotoBucket people, so it appears they are getting mighty upset everyone uses Tinypic and not their POS bandwidth-limited Photobucket service. Even if this time isn't the end of Tinypic as we know it, that day cannot be too far into the future.

I've kind of been growing impatient with Tinypic lately regardless, with their browser-killing flash ads and their captchas.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 4:55 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I just read this comment from another site about this situation:

Quote :
More like Tinydic, amirite?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 5:02 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   2010-09-24, 10:57 am

I knew this day would come. Tinypic is just to popular for hosting unlimited images with fast loading. We gonna have to fish around for an alternative.

Forumotion has their own image host. servimg.com, but im not sure how reliable it is. A read up about it is found here.

I moved 2 tinypic images in the templates to forumotions host so no need to worry about the templates. I removed the post link bar that know one knows it exists or uses. Some other time ill make it a dropdown box to access links when writing up a post. I added comments/description in the css above each class that has the forums images and classes that were added.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead   

Back to top Go down

Forums Images & Tinypic Policy Changes: Issues *Potentially* Looming Ahead

View previous topic View next topic Back to top