Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-10-28, 11:29 am

Planning For A New Forums Theme

-New Theme Is Here

Me and Cujo are planning a new forums theme that ties into Guild Wars 2. We need to figure out an average screen size resolution to work off when creating the graphics that will fit with everyone's monitor and not chopped. If your screen resolution is not listed, pick the one that closest to yours.

Do you guys find the portal useful or wasted space? Explain why

Do you prefer a light or dark colored theme? Any preference Color?

Are you using Internet Explorer as your everyday browser? Yes - Specify Version (Ex. 6, 7, 8 ) No - Specify Browser (Ex. Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome)

If you guys can give any feedback as to what you want added to the forums or see improved, please list them.

Last edited by Reave on 2010-11-08, 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-10-28, 12:37 pm

I wouldn't say it was wasted space, but I do think it could be better utilised. I ignore most of it and just glance over the recent happenings threads.

I think either can work well. If it's to be a light theme I think it usually has to be clean and well defined, whereas dark themes have perhaps a little more scope for interesting designs. I'm sure you'll prove me wrong with anything you do though xD

Are you using Internet Explorer as your everyday browser? Yes - Specify Version (Ex. 6, 7, 8 ) No - Specify Browser (Ex. Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome)
No- Mozilla Firefox 4 Beta 5

If you guys can give any feedback as to what you want added to the forums or see improved, please list them.
Can't think of anything right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misty
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-10-28, 6:38 pm

Uuuuuuh, not really sure what "wasted space" means in terms of a website, since presumably space is not at a premium. I don't really make use of the portal; I'm not sure what it's supposed to be for or what it means. I always just click on "View posts since last visit". Maybe if there was more stuff deserving of prominence on the portal, that'd be cool?

Dark is always fantastic - hurts my eyes less. I love how it is now, but if you wanna make it even blacker, that could be cool.

Google Chrome 7 when I'm on my laptop (right now) and whatever the current version of Opera is when my desktop is working
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsCujo
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-10-28, 7:31 pm

Yes. Its crap. ..lol you have my opinion on this one. I just think it should be more visually appealing since atm it looks just like the forums which seems lame.

I like light themes, but not with colors that make my eyes hurt >.< An example is this forum http://puripuri.freeforums.org/ Reave PM me and Ill give you my login info to check out the colors etc.

Chrome, IE sucks :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grace
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-01, 11:29 am

I dont really feel like voicing my screen res and stuff, however I do tink portals are usful. IDK what happened to ya alls portal (no offense) it used to be prettier. but I have always felt the 'latest post/announcement thing' was kinda pointless - the vent box, quick link images and stuff were cool to me. didnt use them all the time but did come in handy at times. so0o

in short : widgets on portal = good, showing posts.announcemnts= not so much.

oh and ./agree on darker forums. I cant stand lighter background images. (white text is a bit blurry for me sometimes but other than that -- generally like darker forums.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-01, 3:37 pm

I don't ever use it, but I know others do, I could care less if it's there or not.

No preference. SOmething that is appealing to the eyes that isn't hard on the eyes is all I care about.

I use Firefox.

Also, my resolution wasn't on there but I picked the closest one that's OVER the size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-02, 5:46 am

Do you guys find the portal useful or wasted space?

I think the portal is OK. I don't use it much, but for new members it's useful.

Light colored theme with minimalist layout. Something like this: http://Y99k.com :-)

Chrome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-05, 8:14 pm

New theme is almost done, just need a few more things. The new theme will be running punBB instead of phpBB2. The theme is dark, easier to read, and sticks out from the traditional forumotion forum look. Very Happy

The portal will look the the same, but with the new theme. I am i'm out of ideas for it. If you can think of anything for it, post it.

Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 3:09 pm

Please list any complaints or problems you find with this new theme. Thanks

Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 3:57 pm

Just one small gripe, I'd prefer if the entire banner at the top were a link to the forums home, as in the main forums page. If that's not possible or you don't want to do it then I don't mind, it's just I'm used to scrolling up and clicking somewhere in the middle to get back to the forums home. Other than that, it's awesome. Loving the changes you've made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 4:07 pm

Link wrote:
Just one small gripe, I'd prefer if the entire banner at the top were a link to the forums home, as in the main forums page.

done

Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 4:11 pm

Amazing, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 11:20 pm

Alright, here we go:

1. Some forums are underlined and some aren't. Likewise, some usernames are underlined and some aren't (For example, blakeparthenay isn't underlined. Does punBB hate him or something? Laughing) Don't know why that is, but Reave, whatever you did for the phpBB2 to get the forum names underlined may need a punBB 'twist' to get right now.

Likewise, links in posts aren't underlined by default anymore either.

2. In the switch to punBB from phpBB2 I notice that some of the admin panel adjustments have been reverted, most noticeably the mini-icons next to thread names and usernames. I had them hidden before because IMO they are unnecessary, make things look a bit crowded, and only distract from the actual content. If people don't mind them now, leave them be.

3. The ECTOs Staff button on the Portal has the old navy-blue bg color (#1e1e2a) on it. It originally had no bg color at all, but in order to make the rest of the image show up more clearly with Guru's brighter color scheme for the recruitment ad, I had to add it in.

Don't know what the plan is for that particular button in the future, but if you want a fix for the time being at least, I adjusted it with the current gray bg color (#202020) and the current text color (#e4e4e4):

I didn't use any gradient on the text as there aren't really any gradients being used elsewhere so it would stand out too much.

In general, the new theme looks alright. Feels a bit weird after going 'navy blue' for so long, but I'll get used to it. No complaints with the navbar or the other buttons. Bit generic, but they fit the theme fine.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2010-11-08, 12:56 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-07, 11:34 pm

Couple of other things:

1. The 'GW Community Sites' drop-down widget on the Portal needs inverted colors. Again, not sure on what the future holds for that particular widget, but for the time being (and consistency's sake) I'd switch the bg color on the drop-down list to either the predominant gray bg color being used now (#202020) or the gray fill-in form box color (#505050) and the text color of the font to the default text color here (#e4e4e4). Also, be on alert that the URLs for Guild Wiki and PvX Wiki will be changing soon, so they'll need to be changed before too long. Might want to add the URL to ArenaNet's blog - http://www.arena.net/blog/ there as well. They give out a lot of info on that blog, especially about GW2.

EDIT: Actually, drop-down menus everywhere, such as the thread title color drop-down menu and the 'View More Emoticons' drop-down menu in the 'Post Reply' screen, have white backgrounds and dark text. Might want to see about switching those too.

2. Reave, are you going to try to reinstall that category-collapsing script like the old theme had or are you just going to say the hell with it? (I know you said it was a real PITA to get right before.) Doesn't really matter to me either way as I always left the forums completely shown. Just curious.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-08, 9:25 am

@TideSwayer

1. Ill have to find the css code for it, punBB has a shit ton more properties to change thus giving me more control of what I can customize.

2. I never knew what they were for, now I do. Ill probably take them out. I do like how the check mark is next to the thread that the user has posted in. That check mark will probably get moved next to the replies post count.

3. Thanks for changing The ECTOs Staff button bgcolor for the Portal

TideSwayer wrote:
In general, the new theme looks alright. Feels a bit weird after going 'navy blue' for so long, but I'll get used to it. No complaints with the navbar or the other buttons. Bit generic, but they fit the theme fine.

I may take some time getting used to the color change, but thats expected when changing any colors.
We've been on navy blue for 1.5 years or more.

TideSwayer wrote:
Couple of other things:

1. Ill have to re-evaulate the dropdown menus and bbcode dropdowns. I had it originally with grey, but it just looked awful. Ill try #202020 instead of #404040. Also the portal is gonna get revamped. 3 column layout is coming back, and images for the fan sites, and maybe an RSS feed from GW2 blog on the portal.

2. Im up in the air about that one. I never really used it to be honest. With punBB it adds another bar on top of each category on the forums homepage, and it looked bad. I removed it with template editing. Since I removed the top bar, the scripts for punBB/phpBB2/phpBB3 wont work. In other words, ill have to spend time one day and reverse engineer the code to make it work.

Here is the original thread about the scripts for collapsable categories, incase you lost the link.
http://forum.forumactif.com/trucs-et-astuces-f8/categorie-retractable-sans-invision-t262264.htm

punBB has so many customization options.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-08, 11:48 am

Change the ECTOs Officers usergroup color from orange-red (#FF4500) to just red. I chose orange-red merely because red didn't contrast well enough with the old navy blue. That's also why I avoided using red for anything other than large header text before. Going by how well red looks from red-colored thread titles that exist, red will work just fine here.

I absolutely HATE the 'New Topic' and 'Post Reply' buttons being all the way on the right. Move them to the left if possible.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-08, 12:01 pm

Keep em rolling. Every bit helps.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-08, 12:06 pm

Wow. Red really does look good with gray as the background color.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-08, 12:57 pm

the forums are looking great. This old lady can read! ha ha!

just suggestions - since I am tiny little old me....

Portal:
* I think Steve suggested this as well.. a Anet Blog widget. (personally I like clickable pictures/txt)
* the travelor dood has always seemed huge to me. (more of a statement i guess)
* the widgets seem jumbled. not sure if its the order they are in or the layout itself that kinda seems like chaos.

forum:
* not the text on posts but the text on buttons (new topic, post reply, contact buttons,...) seem slightly fuzzy. the navigation bar buttons dont seem like that so maybe its the lighter bg color vs font color. i have no clue how to decribe it otherwise.

other than that it looks nice and clean so far. the stretched banner is cool.

EDIT: i noticed you have your news for portal set at 10 threads. may I suggest 5? shrug, just seems a far ways to scroll down on portal, which I refuse to do. (dont read news posts anyway since I read the forums when/what I want to anyway.) just look at pretty widgets before logging in since its bookmarked to portal for me. Smile

Last edited by Grace on 2010-11-08, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-10, 9:49 pm

Reave, I'm pretty sure the secret with some forums (and other things, perhaps?) being underlined and some not lies with whether or not you've 'read' them. Once you click on a forum that's underlined and then go back out to the main forums index, it's not underlined anymore.

Not sure something 'read' is better off being non-underlined. Looks shoddy, IMO.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-10, 11:45 pm

Large empty grey space
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tshedd31
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:34 am

Grace wrote:

Portal:
* I think Steve suggested this as well.. a Anet Blog widget. (personally I like clickable pictures/txt)
* the travelor dood has always seemed huge to me. (more of a statement i guess)
* the widgets seem jumbled. not sure if its the order they are in or the layout itself that kinda seems like chaos.

EDIT: i noticed you have your news for portal set at 10 threads. may I suggest 5? shrug, just seems a far ways to scroll down on portal, which I refuse to do. (dont read news posts anyway since I read the forums when/what I want to anyway.) just look at pretty widgets before logging in since its bookmarked to portal for me. Smile

I Think I Cleaned Up The Portal A Little Bit, Added A Third Smaller Section On The Left For Recent Posts As Well As The Vent Widget I Agree That 10 'News' Threads Was Too Many & 5 Looks Better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tshedd31
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:45 am

Link wrote:

Large empty grey space

For Me There's Advertisements In The Grey Void.

Edit:

Last edited by Tshedd31 on 2010-11-11, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:56 am

Tshedd31 wrote:
Link wrote:

Large empty grey space

For Me There's Advertisements In The Grey Void.

Official Help.Forumotion.com thread on this issue: (Hint: all FM forums are experiencing this)
http://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/only-topic-why-advertisement-t81090.htm

I noticed the ads myself today and went to find out what the deal was. Forumotion is either glitched or trying to decide whether or not to turn mandatory ads back on. According to that thread above, there is "official" word from both opinions, so who knows at this point? There used to be a setting in the admin panel to show ads for all, just registered members and guests, or just guests. We used to have the setting here at 'just guests', but apparently that setting in the admin panel got changed to only 'all' or 'members and guests' this morning. No more 'just guests' option. Not sure what the admin panel setting is for these forums right now.

There was a similar issue like this around the same time last year. Got resolved in a few days with Forumotion backing down, removing the ads, and restoring the settings to how they were. There's no doubt in my mind they did this intentionally to try and suck up some extra revenue, both from the extra ads and from impatient forum owners plunking down some $$$ to have the ads removed, and in a few days the forums will be back to normal. Forumotion simply cannot afford to leave the ads up and suffer a mass exodus of forum owners/members to other hosts. The minimal ads is one of the main drawing cards for them.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2010-11-11, 7:02 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow Sin Mg
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:58 am

I like it, shows me the latest hit threads and vent status. gives a nicer look to the forums than just endless amounts of posts.

I dont really have a preference on color, i did however like the darker theme better.

Are you using Internet Explorer as your everyday browser? Yes - Specify Version (Ex. 6, 7, 8 ) No - Specify Browser (Ex. Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome) Google Chrome for life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   

Back to top Go down

Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here

View previous topic View next topic Back to top