0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 10:43 am

Thanks for changing to 3 column layout Tyler. Now it encourages me to add stuff.

- GW2 Twitter & AreanNet Blog Feeds Added.

Now, to add some images to useful threads and community sites

Status on ads.

Use an ad blocker for now to remove the ad.

Im not spending money on these forums to removed the ads.

$5.95 for 6 month ad removal. - Members Only
$11.90 for 6 month ad removal. - Members and Guests

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:35 pm

To be honest, the ad banner doesn't even bother me at all. As long as none of those webpage-killing, flash-intensive ad types show up, who cares, really?

And Reave, AreanNet Blog is spelled wrong on the widget titlebar. ArenaNet Blog.

EDIT: Might want to consider using a different font color for the channels listing in the vent widget as well. That orange looks a bit out of place without any other orange around.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 12:50 pm

TideSwayer wrote:
To be honest, the ad banner doesn't even bother me at all. As long as none of those webpage-killing, flash-intensive ad types show up, who cares, really?

As a sidenote, great firefox addon:
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 1:20 pm

TideSwayer wrote:
And Reave, AreanNet Blog is spelled wrong on the widget titlebar. ArenaNet Blog.

Good catch. Also change the channel color to #38a2ca. Do you thing I should use #e4e4e4 instead?

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 1:34 pm

Reave wrote:
Also change the channel color to #38a2ca. Do you thing I should use #e4e4e4 instead?

No. IMO, the blue color you are using now looks great actually. Fits the theme. Leave it be for now and see if there is any complaint. #e4e4e4 or red would be the next choices. The trend right now (as I see it taking shape here with the new forums theme) seems to be veering towards gray/dark gray backgrounds with #e4e4e4 default and 'Admin' blue and 'ECTOs Staff' red color as "highlights", which is really consistent and appealing instead of having 14,053 different shades of whatever all over the place. You could also use 'Community Support' orange in places too.

To keep the consistency going, I'd suggest you throw together a new ECTOs Staff button to match the style of the Wiki buttons you just made. Mine doesn't really fit with those, tbh. Do you still have that vector ecto pic?

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 1:43 pm

TideSwayer wrote:

To keep the consistency going, I'd suggest you throw together a new ECTOs Staff button to match the style of the Wiki buttons you just made. Mine doesn't really fit with those, tbh. Do you still have that vector ecto pic?

Im working on it now. I just vecortized another ecto, as I lost my others. Vector Magic Desktop is an amazing/fast program for vectorizing simple stuff.

Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 5:03 pm

Added scroll to top script. It was becoming a pain in the ass to scroll all the to the top because of lenghty posts.

You will see when you scroll down in posts (Bottom Right Corner). Let me know if its annoying or if you would like to see it in more places on the forums.

Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 5:45 pm

I can't decide if I like it or not. It's a nice feature but when reading long posts it kinda annoys me with it being there, but then I still like how it looks. Also, I agree that having to scroll to the top all the time is not fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 5:59 pm

Link wrote:
It's a nice feature but when reading long posts it kinda annoys me with it being there

Im gonna keep playing with the size.

Tshedd31
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-11, 7:20 pm

I Like It! Didn't Even Notice It Until I Read This So It's Pretty Subtle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:10 am

I use a mouse gestures extension for Firefox (All-In-One Gestures) to handle all of my scrolling needs. I have it set to hold right-click and mouse up for top scroll and right-click and mouse down for bottom scroll. Other than that I just use the HOME and END keys on the keyboard, which do the same thing.

Reave, what font are you using for the Portal buttons?

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 6:24 am

TideSwayer wrote:

Reave, what font are you using for the Portal buttons?

It's a custom GW2 font (KiyaKoreena) made over at guildwars2guru

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/guild-wars-2-based-font-t703.html?t=703

Grace
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 9:50 am

im liking the portal its becoming a website of its own. Very Happy

i wish i knew how to make widgets like the wiki and twitter / blog rss feeds. the community links blows my mind, I guess someday I'll figure all this stuff out. all i have learned is linked pictures. which is fun making the pictures anyway. LOL but I think its coming together nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:14 pm

I'm done with the portal for now. All images have been updated to match. An overall looks a hella lot better than before.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:27 pm

Re: The Ads

TideSwayer wrote:
http://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/only-topic-why-advertisement-t81090-0.htm

There was a similar issue like this around the same time last year. Got resolved in a few days with Forumotion backing down, removing the ads, and restoring the settings to how they were. There's no doubt in my mind they did this intentionally to try and suck up some extra revenue, both from the extra ads and from impatient forum owners plunking down some $$$ to have the ads removed, and in a few days the forums will be back to normal. Forumotion simply cannot afford to leave the ads up and suffer a mass exodus of forum owners/members to other hosts. The minimal ads is one of the main drawing cards for them.

Damn, I'm smooth. Smile Look at these comments from that above-linked Forumotion Help Forum thread:

Typlo wrote:
Dear users,

We at Forumotion are deeply sorry that this decision has been hard to accept for you and your members.
It's necessary for us to find new ways to generate revenues, and like all other free forum hosts on the market (we were an exception until now) displaying ads seems like a vital solution.

This said, nothing is permanent, we are studying other ways to generate revenues and if you have any suggestions, we will be happy to listen. Smile

Best,
Forumotion Team.

And then, less than a day later, after lots of backlash (although mostly in part to how Forumotion didn't announce the change prior):

Typlo wrote:
We have taken into consideration your complaints, and due to popular demand we will add back the option "guests" in your admin panel.

So everything will be back to normal on your forums, but if you want to support us please keep the option as it is. Wink

We are sorry for the inconvenience, and will be studying new revenue ways for next year, the option Goldman26 mentioned on Page 10 seems a nice alternative.

The option for ad removal is slowly returning to Forumotion Admin Panels everywhere, so be on the lookout for it Reave. People are saying that only the 'Founder' account can switch the ads setting now though. I wonder if that's a bug or an intended fix.

As I said, the ad banner isn't really much of a distraction to me, to be honest. If leaving it enabled entitled the forum to some sort of reward or feature upgrade or something, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Alas... This forum gets enough 'guest' hits (ie. ad revenue for Forumotion) to not even worry about having ads enabled for Admins/Registered Members anyways.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:39 pm

The option is back and switched to guests only again.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:42 pm

BTW, Reave, nice job on the Nick pic re-do. Looks awesome.

If you have the Wiki buttons up, you should remove the Wiki options from the drop-down menu and only leave the sites that buttons don't account for.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:45 pm

More of a question then a suggestion, but the "Interest In DoA" Thread it loads but takes alot longer then other threads and once it does I can't post and my scroll on the mouse won't work. I'm not sure if this is because of the new theme or just the post is too big.

I was able to post last night by clicking post reply before it finished loading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 12:51 pm

Tshedd31 wrote:
More of a question then a suggestion, but the "Interest In DoA" Thread it loads but takes alot longer then other threads and once it does I can't post and my scroll on the mouse won't work. I'm not sure if this is because of the new theme or just the post is too big.

I was able to post last night by clicking post reply before it finished loading.

I've noticed the same thing with regards to lengthy threads, especially with Firefox. They take forever to load and still seem to scroll 'clunky' once the status bar reads 'done'. With Firefox the forums seem a bit clunkier overall than they did with the old theme. (Google Chrome seems alright in that regard.) I don't know what the root cause of that is, but it is most likely a combination of too many posts-per-page conflicting with gwBBcode/automatic forum pic resizing/imgur images being a tad slower to load than TinyPic was/new theme. The ad banner was probably adding to it some as well.

I think it would be best to lower the posts-per-page for now. I think I set it to some high as hell setting anyways when the forums were first created because the early threads weren't very image-heavy.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 1:00 pm

Iv noticed the sluggishness also. gwBBcode is having loading issues. Also i'm probably gonna have to find another image host like servimg, tinypic maby to split because their are to many requests getting shot over to imgur at once thus causing some slowdowns. I read an article somewhere saying its best to have images hosted on multiple places.

The posts were set to 50. I just changed it to 25.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 1:07 pm

The posts setting at 25 already seems to be working wonders for me. Maybe you should change the threads per page down to 25 from 50 as well just to be consistent. (Although I haven't really had any issues with the forums index. Just the threads themselves.)

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 1:17 pm

Reave wrote:
...because their are to many requests getting shot over to imgur at once thus causing some slowdowns...

The main problem with Firefox (and for me it is a MAJOR issue with the browser) is that it only loads things one at a time. It doesn't multi-task at all when loading a web page. That is why shit like unruly flash ads and slow-to-load areas/images can bog down that browser. It's why loading multiple tabs at once (for example, my 15-tab startup group for FF) pretty much makes Firefox cry. I hate it. It makes long threads load slow as hell, and that's something I've NEVER gotten used to. With Maxthon I used to be able to load long-ass threads right away and mouse gesture-scroll all the way to the bottom. With Firefox I actually have to wait a few seconds. I know you can adjust pipelining in the about:config but I don't really want to have to tweak FF to holy hell and back just to get it right with 2010 webpage standards.

I'm hoping Firefox v4.0 fixes that shit or else I will be making the move elsewhere, probably to IE 9 when it goes final. In addition to IE9, Chrome v9 (in the Dev channel now), and Firefox v4.0 will have hardware acceleration built in so the 2011 browser wars will be interesting as hell to keep an eye on.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 1:26 pm

It's working much better now. I use windows explorer and opera and that post actutally caused my explorer to crash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 1:31 pm

Tshedd31 wrote:
It's working much better now. I use windows explorer and opera and that post actutally caused my explorer to crash.

It's loading a lot better, but my mouse-wheel scrolling is still a bit clunky. Even my arrow-key scrolling feels slow. (Page 2 of this thread with Firefox, for example.) I wonder why that is? It's not annoying to the point of avoidance, but it's definitely noticeable, especially as compared to before.

EDIT: Just tested this thread page on Chrome. Seemed alright. It's a Firefox issue. Goddamn Firefox. Evil or Very Mad

As someone who likes to scroll down before a page is done loading, for some reason I'm getting auto-jumped to the top of a thread page once it's done loading sometimes. I'd suggest that 'Top' script is the culprit for this particular issue, but I can't confirm that it only started happening after that was added. I haven't been reading/using these forums much over the past couple of weeks to keep an eye out for that happening beforehand, but it's possible.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   2010-11-12, 7:39 pm

No more blurriness on the buttons. I re did the text on all the buttons.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here   

Back to top Go down

Forums Theme Ideas - It's Here

View previous topic View next topic Back to top