[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-12, 11:02 am

Not really feeling the abundance of grays everywhere, to be honest. I'd rather something that has white text on black or something like that. Also, I have issues with a myriad of spacing instances that I can't figure out in the damn CSS. (For example, look how close the Quote+/Quote/Edit/etc. buttons are to the content of this post. If they were any closer you'd be inside them and could see their organs and stuff.) Things are just awkwardly-spaced here as compared to our last theme.

I also would like to change the banner image to something a bit better but Reave pulled off some voodoo with the CSS that I can't figure out just yet. I would just like to go back to our old-style center banners that were easy to switch in and out. Same for the navbar buttons, which is also tricked-up.

Reave is nowhere to be found these days, plus he probably just started up his new college semester, so bugging him to get down to the nitty gritty is probably out as a viable option.

I'd literally just choose one of the other Forumotion PunBB themes from Hitskin.com and just go with something a bit more simple to work with, but seriously - out of the box they are all either Twilight-themed, Kristen Stewart-themed, Ke$ha-themed, or some other teenybopper pop star. It would take a bit of work to restructure, lol. Might have to just go back to phpBB2 again where there are tons of themes to choose from.

EDIT: I don't think I have the most-recent version of the last theme backed up (just the images, etc., not the actual theme file) so that option's (probably) out too. The last version of the theme file that I have from our last theme is from July 7, 2010. Not sure if anything major was added to the forums after that date, or even if the theme file contains enough info to revert back entirely to what we had before.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2011-01-12, 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-12, 11:25 am

So what do you think? Do you like this current theme and want to see if we can figure out the kinks? Do you want me to try and go back to the older theme if I can make it work? Do you want to just go with something else? Do you not care as long as the forums stay functional?

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-12, 2:40 pm

I honestly do not mind the way our forums our currently set up. I do agree though the grey is a little boring, white on black might be kind of cliche as well despite how easy it would be to read. What I think would be cool is if it sort of resembled, even remotely, the colour of the Globs of Ectoplasm we are named after, but that would just be my preference. As for the buttons, I do not mind them so much, nor do I mind the whole ghost of Ascalon banner but a change would be nice I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-12, 4:35 pm

Personally.. I love the current theme. I think everything looks really freakin' sweet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blakeparthenay
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-13, 1:18 am

i personally think its too dark. if you could make it look good, or right, i think a white theme with black text... more professional looking? But certainly wouldnt go any darker...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-13, 1:33 am

A theme would have to be relatively dark. The main problem with lighter themes is that the different colored text wouldn't stand out. To me, being able to use different colors effectively with text is one of the best things about these forums. One of the major pluses of this darker theme as compared to our last 'navy blue' theme is that some of the colors contrast a bit more (red, green, purple) and give us more text-formatting options.

On a normal website/blog where text would almost certainly be one color for 99% of the time (unless on a graphic image or something), then light background is what I'd prefer.

Really, this what I want for this forums theme for me to be near-100% happy with it:

1. The dark grays to be blacks. (The color, not the colored people.)
2. The light grays to be the new dark grays.
3. All of my various spacing issues worked out.
4. Old-style central banner that is easily switched in and out. No CSS background image stuff. Right now, the actual banner image is a background image and the logo is just the text part. I plan on changing the text part soon (same font but a bit more stylish), but I'm afraid playing around with the background image would break the forums or something.
5. Same for the Navbar buttons.

In any case, I don't think I have it in me to do anything drastic right now. Too much other stuff on my plate for the time being. I'll try and see what I can do to make things 'work' with this theme - poke around the CSS here and there and see what I can manipulate. Maybe I'll try and get Reave back to the forums for once in the new year. (Sheesh.)

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-13, 3:41 am

I am ambivalent. But this is pretty boring. I say, do what makes you happy Steve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-13, 9:28 pm

TideSwayer wrote:
Reave is nowhere to be found these days, plus he probably just started up his new college semester.

I have been busy with stuff (work, holidays, family, coding, etc...) and then with the recent 2ft snow storm, had to take care of 3 of my tenants driveways. Worst part about my day yesterday, was that the snowblower's belt broke within 5 minutes of blowing snow, me and my brother had to shovel the sidewalks by hand that were about 5ft high because of the town street plows. Had to hire a plow for driveways and then later on my car got stuck in the middle of the road. FML.

My classes start on Friday the 21st. As for activity on the forums or in-game will be very very little if any at all.

The easiest way to contact me is by PMing me on the forums. All PM's that get sent to me, I get an email saying I got a new PM on the forums. All emails get pushed to my iPhone, and I check them quite frequently.

As for the forums theme, do whatever you want. Just to let you know, switching to a generic theme or someone else's twilight theme, you will lose a lot of css codes that are hidden by default and it will be a lot harder to do fine customization. When I was building this theme, I had to figure out forumotion's hard coded css codes that they use for punbb and manually add them into the css to make customization to the theme because they don't have them in by default.

1. Banner
It was a bitch getting that system working correctly and involved working around forumotion's standard banner system. Advice, don't remove the css or else it will muck up the forum as their are a couple other properties that work along with it with it that includes aligning the forums. Easy solution for the old style center banner is by changing the below code as the following in the css.

Change this
Code:
#pun-intro {
   margin: 0px -2% 0px 0px;
        border-bottom: 0px solid #296fa5;
   background-color: transparent;
   background-image: url('http://imgur.com/0ST3Z.jpg');
        background-position: top center;
   background-repeat: repeat-y
        width: 100%;
        height: 340px;
   }

to this
Code:
#pun-intro {
   margin: 0px -2% 0px 0px;
        border-bottom: 0px solid #296fa5;
   background-color: transparent;
        height: 340px; /* change this if you need more or less space for the top banner */
   }

To center regular banners after you change the #pun-intro css code you must do two things.
1. Admin panel > Display > Headers & Navigation > Logo positioning: Center
2. remove, comment out or remove float:left;
Code:
#pun-logo {
    float: left;
        margin-top: 30px;
}
now you are back to the old banner system.

2. Spacing button
The spacing issue for the quote+/quote/ etc.. buttons was easily fixable by adding a class of .post-options to the css. I just added it to the css, but if you want more space, just change the value.

Code:
.post-options { margin-bottom:20px;}

3. Navbar
I did this because it reduced the browser requests by 11, its loads faster, and it is only 1 image so its easy to re-upload if it goes down.

to go back to old nav + mod post bar, you will have to do two things.
1. Admin panel > Display > Pics management > Advance Mode and re-upload each picture like the old way.
2. Comment out this code in the css.
Code:
.i_icon_edit,.i_icon_delete,.i_icon_ip{height:25px; width:80px;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-image:url("http://imgur.com/T8Ql7.png");}

.i_icon_edit{background-position:0px 0px;}
.i_icon_delete{background-position:-80px 0px;}
.i_icon_ip{background-position:-160px 0px;}

#i_icon_mini_index,#i_icon_mini_calendar,#i_icon_mini_new_message,#i_icon_mini_login,#i_icon_mini_register,#i_icon_mini_logout,#i_icon_mini_portal,#i_icon_mini_profile,#i_icon_mini_message,#i_icon_mini_members,#i_icon_mini_search,#i_icon_mini_groups{background-image: url("http://imgur.com/q6As1.png"); width: 118px; height: 37px; background-repeat:no-repeat;}

#i_icon_mini_portal {background-position:0px 0px;}
#i_icon_mini_index {background-position:-118px 0px;}
#i_icon_mini_calendar {background-position:-236px 0px;}
#i_icon_mini_search {background-position:-354px 0px;}
#i_icon_mini_members {background-position:0px -37px;}
#i_icon_mini_groups {background-position:-118px -37px;}
#i_icon_mini_profile {background-position:-236px -37px;}
#i_icon_mini_register {background-position:-354px -37px;}
#i_icon_mini_message {background-position:0px -74px;}
#i_icon_mini_new_message {background-position:-118px -74px;}
#i_icon_mini_login {background-position:-236px -74px;}
#i_icon_mini_logout {background-position:-354px -74px;}
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-13, 11:23 pm

Reave wrote:
I have been busy with stuff (work, holidays, family, coding, etc...) and then with the recent 2ft snow storm, had to take care of 3 of my tenants driveways. Worst part about my day yesterday, was that the snowblower's belt broke within 5 minutes of blowing snow, me and my brother had to shovel the sidewalks by hand that were about 5ft high because of the town street plows. Had to hire a plow for driveways and then later on my car got stuck in the middle of the road. FML.

My classes start on Friday the 21st. As for activity on the forums or in-game will be very very little if any at all.

The easiest way to contact me is by PMing me on the forums. All PM's that get sent to me, I get an email saying I got a new PM on the forums. All emails get pushed to my iPhone, and I check them quite frequently.

As for the forums theme, do whatever you want. Just to let you know, switching to a generic theme or someone else's twilight theme, you will lose a lot of css codes that are hidden by default and it will be a lot harder to do fine customization. When I was building this theme, I had to figure out forumotion's hard coded css codes that they use for punbb and manually add them into the css to make customization to the theme because they don't have them in by default.

We got 14" of snow yesterday. Rumors of another storm here next Tuesday. Next one on Tuesday, last one on Tuesday... garbage day on Wednesday. It ALWAYS rains/snows the night I have to take the garbage out! (Ugh!)

Yeah, I know I can PM you whenever, but I don't want to really bother you for something like this if you are preoccupied/disinterested for whatever reason.

I am familiar with CSS (and what I'm not familiar with is just a web search away), but modifying another CSS that you didn't write/organize can be a pain unless you take the time to poke around and play with changes for a bit. (Really the same way with any type of code/script.) I haven't had the time to really dig down deep and experiment with the forums' CSS, but I have messed around with a few things. Google Chrome's 'Inspect Element' feature is good for tracking down what site areas are focused where.

At any rate, I'll probably hold off on any major theme changes for the next several weeks. Right now what the forums need more than an overhaul is content and contribution to get them readily active again. Starting to head in that direction though over the past week or so, which is nice. I also plan to move some things around, etc.

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   2011-01-14, 1:32 pm

I'm with Blood on this one, I don't think the theme's awful, but it is a little boring. I think it definitely needs a more Ecto-oriented theme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?   

Back to top Go down

I hate this forums theme. What are your thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top