Share | 

Winter needs to get nerfed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-01-31, 8:06 pm

Seriously. After the past few years of barely getting any significant snowfall accumulations in my immediate vicinity (Albany, NY), this season has been horrendous. We've already gotten like 4 or 5 major snowstorms when we've been accustomed to only getting 1 or 2 tops. Starting on Tuesday and continuing into Wednesday, we're getting 18-24 more INCHES of snow on top of what is still on the ground (and trust me, it's a lot). Not only has it been more snowy than usual, it's been so damn cold that none of it has even had time to melt! Goddamnit. Anyone who shovels snow knows the number one most annoying thing about shoveling: running out of places to throw the snow you shovel. I'm in this boat right now. All around my lawn and streetfront are piles of snow 6-8 feet high. Ugh.

Global warming, my ass. Mad

In conclusion, I'm ready for a return to 90+ Fahrenheit degree summer heatwaves (and a hot-ass computer room as a result of that).

NERF WINTER!

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-01-31, 10:02 pm

Welcome to my world the past 25 years of my life. Razz That's how bad it snows here every year, but it's because we get a SHIT ton of lake effect snow where I live. It's close to, if not more than what Buffalo usually gets every year (as I know they get a lot of lake effect snow too).

I'm going to nerf winter myself, hopefully in the next few years, by moving somewhere else. Anything less is better than the amount of snow I'm getting now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-01, 10:25 am

TideSwayer wrote:

I agree. I'm sick of all this snow. The snow banks on the sides of the roads are at least 6+ft tall and it is very difficult pulling into the streets because you cant see whose coming because the snow is in the way. Thank god classes are canceled today. Here's some pics of an ice storm that happen a week an a half ago (icy driveway) and the current snow storm happening today.

Saru
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-01, 11:35 am

It's -2°F in the middle of West Texas... In the desert. o_O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-01, 9:31 pm

Saru wrote:
It's -2°F in the middle of West Texas... In the desert. o_O
I saw that on the weather channel today during one of our breaks in class. I was like... WTF? DALLAS IS AT -2? And then I was like Well shit, what is that gonna mean for us up here in the Northeastern states?! SHIT!

I don't know if class gets called off here in town if our class gets canceled. We don't even KNOW if that's what's supposed to happen. The place the class is based out of, if class is called off for that area they're called off, but we're not in the same area... so who freakin knows. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
usranger1
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-02, 3:46 am

-19 tonight not including windchill here on the front range of Colorado.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-02, 6:22 am

Luckily our forecast for the second part of our two-day snowstorm got reduced a fair amount, from over 12 inches of snow to about 6-9 inches. Instead of snowing all night tonight, as it was originally supposed to, it's now supposed to taper off in the late afternoon-early evening hours. There's a chance we could get some Thundersnow this morning which would RULE (Thundersnow definitely does rule).

I am actually about to go shovel in a few minutes (once the sun comes up) as my nephew has a snow day and he'll be spending the day with me.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-02, 11:28 am

No Thundersnow. Sad

Did get a sore neck from constantly sling-shotting plow-piled snow onto the top of 6-foot side embankments though. Sad

usranger1 wrote:
-19 tonight not including windchill here on the front range of Colorado.

Seeing as it's actually Groundhog Day (lol, what a coincidence) this clip actually fits:

"Okay campers, rise and shine. And don't forget your booties 'cause its coooooooooooold out there today!"

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-02-02, 3:19 pm

Lol yeah, I saw that on the weather channel too, Chris. I honestly can't believe we aren't getting the low temperatures here with this storm. I guess it's an after effect of it though, isn't it? The low pressure system is what's pushing the storm through? I dunno. Maybe we'll get low low temps in a few days. That won't be fun.

And omg, I hate shoveling snow so much, Steve. It's like, the worst thing ever, but it does give you a decent arm workout! Haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-03-30, 11:58 pm

After ~3 months of not seeing my front lawn, finally the weather warmed up enough for all of the damn snow to melt. The past couple of weeks have been nice and warm here and very enjoyable. Coupled with the start of baseball season this week I was starting to look forward to spring.

...And then mother nature decided to fuck us over yet again.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/tracking-the-late-season-noreaster_2011-03-30

Apparently we're getting YET ANOTHER major snowstorm on April Fool's Day. WTF WINTER?! This one has the potential to dump up to a foot on our ass. (Look at the map in that link. I'm in Albany, NY - smack dab in the danger zone.) A foot of snow in April. Unbelievable. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement.

It looks like I can't put away my shovels and gloves just yet. The major downside of late winter-early spring snows is that it's all wet snow which means it takes way longer to shovel. Fortunately this time of year it's warm enough during the day to melt any snow that has the balls to drop during our nights. It won't last long on the ground, but that's a minor consolation.

Good thing my bruised right knee, my sprained right wrist, and my hyperextended right elbow (injuries that I suffered from over the past 2-3 weeks in fluke incidents) have now all-but fully healed at this point.

This better be the last of winter I see this year. I swear to god... Evil or Very Mad

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-03-31, 4:25 am

wat is snow?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-03-31, 6:16 am

maubyFizz wrote:
wat is snow?

It's the reason Lindsay Lohan went from looking like an absolute knockout to looking like she got absolutely knocked out.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-03-31, 10:53 am

lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   2011-04-01, 6:48 am

Fortunately we lucked out here and the storm didn't develop quickly enough. (Remember, there's only a limited window where snow can fall this time of year due to the average warmer temperatures for most of the day/night.) We missed out on the heavy accumulations. Instead of ~10 inches we're only getting 1-2 inches now, and given that I live in the Hudson Valley we'll get even less than that. Don't even need to shovel. It will melt itself.

PHEW! *wipes sweat from brow* Dodged a bullet hammer!

PostSubject: Re: Winter needs to get nerfed   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top