[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-11, 5:00 am

(Novice Computer User-Friendly)

TexMod is a wonderful resource to have. There are many useful TexMod mods to enhance Guild Wars but none better than the Cartography Made Easy mod which simplifies mapping the campaigns to mere child's play. However, for those who aren't all that handy with computers and file management TexMod can be a sore to get set up properly. I have taken the liberty of putting together a TexMod package which includes the Cartography Made Easy mod with TexMod itself for the benefit of these people. The entire package is in one self-extracting .exe file which, as the term implies, will extract itself with a standard installer-style window upon double-click. No other windows file management work needed as all of the necessary files are inside. The Cartography Made Easy mod is already in an easily-accessible location - the default location TexMod checks for, inside the TexMod folder itself.

Also, with the outside chance the external download of TexMod located on the Official Guild Wars Wiki could be tampered with at any time and potentially laced with something malicious (unlikely, but you never know with all the a-holes on the internet these days), you can rest assured that this particular copy of TexMod is 100% safe and tested by me. It's the exact TexMod file I've used for years with absolutely no issues.

TexMod Download Links:

Please copy and paste the desired download link(s) from the code boxes into your web browser's address bar. Thanks, and enjoy.

TexMod with ONLY Cartography Made Easy v2.0 included: (File Size: 24 MB)

MediaFire:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?46v8icv929nkciz

TexMod with *BOTH* Cartography Made Easy v1.1 and v2.0 included: (File Size: 38 MB)

MediaFire:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?80c3gi5osadk1jm

Be sure to download the file(s) somewhere where it/they can be easily found, such as to your desktop or another folder that you are familiar with.

About The Download Versions:

Cartography Made Easy v2.0 is the most up-to-date version of the mod, with the most mappable areas uncovered. However, v2.0 uses a grayish color overlay for all of the uncovered areas, which can be a bit hard to track in some areas of the map, most notably in the snowy areas like the Shiverpeaks. I will say that using an LCD monitor instead of a CRT monitor alleviates the strain somewhat re: this, but it's still not optimal. I have uploaded a version of the TexMod download with Cartography Made Easy v1.1 included as well as v2.0 because v1.1 uses a more-contrasting reddish color overlay for the snowy areas. Note that v1.1 may not include all of the spots that the later-updated v2.0 might, but it's handy to keep around in case an extra glance is needed when things get tight towards the end of the mapping title.

Most people should be fine using the TexMod containing only Cartography Made Easy v2.0.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2012-07-18, 9:27 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-11, 5:00 am

How To Use TexMod With Cartography Made Easy: A Tutorial

1. Find TexMod And Self-Extract The Files Inside

Find the TexMod self-extracting .exe file you downloaded above and double-click on it to begin the self-extraction process. It will open up an installer-style window which will ask you to choose where to extract the contained files to. By default, it will list the same folder location that the self-extracting .exe file is in, so if for example you downloaded the above TexMod self-extracting .exe file to your desktop it will ask you to extract the contained files there first. (You'll have to click the 'Browse' button to select a different directory.)

Inside the self-extracting .exe is one folder named 'TexMod' with all of the necessary files inside it. Once extracted, look for that folder.

Note: After the self-extraction is complete the original self-extracting .exe file can be safely deleted.

2. Open TexMod

Open the extracted 'TexMod' folder and double-click on 'TexMod.exe' (or 'TexMod' if you have file extensions turned off in Windows) to start TexMod.

Here is what you will see:

3. Select A Target Application (ie. Guild Wars itself) To Use With TexMod

Now it's time to select your Guild Wars executable file. Move your cursor over to the big yellow folder icon in the 'Target Application' box like I have in the above pic and click on it. This will bring up a windows file browser window. You will now want to locate either your Guild Wars shortcut (most likely on your desktop) or your 'GW.exe' file in the Guild Wars install folder. For the latter, you will need to look here:

32-Bit Windows:
C:\Program Files\Guild Wars

Select 'My Computer' (Windows XP) or 'Computer' (Windows Vista/7)
Open the C: Drive
Open the 'Program Files' folder in the C: Drive
Open the 'Guild Wars' folder in the 'Program Files' folder
Select the 'GW.exe' file in the 'Guild Wars' folder

64-Bit Windows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars

Select 'My Computer' (Windows XP) or 'Computer' (Windows Vista/7)
Open the C: Drive
Open the 'Program Files (x86)' folder in the C: Drive
Open the 'Guild Wars' folder in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder
Select the 'GW.exe' file in the 'Guild Wars' folder

If you've done it properly, the yellow folder icon in the 'Target Application' box of TexMod will be replaced with the Guild Wars helmet icon.

4. Select A Package (ie. Mod) To Use With TexMod In Guild Wars Application

Click on the little yellow folder icon just to the right of the 'Select Packages' box in TexMod. Here is an image showing exactly where:

Select 'Browse' on the little windows menu that pops up. This will open up another windows file browser window.

The default folder that pops up from 'Browse' is the TexMod folder itself. If you've downloaded one of the TexMod packages in the original post, the Cartography Made Easy mods (both v1.1 and v2.0, depending on what you downloaded above) will be in sub-folders inside the TexMod folder. Open the sub-folder for whatever Carto Made Easy version you want to use. Inside you'll see several different mod files for that particular Carto Made Easy version. (If you have file extensions turned on, you'll see that they all end in .tpf which is TexMod's mod extension.) The mod files are labeled accordingly, ie. Tyria-EotN, Cantha, Elona, etc., each of which loads up the mapper mod for said continent ONLY. Version 2.0 of Carto Made Easy also contains a 'Complete Collection' file which loads up the mapper mod for EVERY continent. This is recommended if your computer can handle it but it takes a bit longer to load at first.

Select what particular Carto Made Easy mod file(s) you want to load up and click the 'Open' button in the lower right of the windows file browser window.

If you've done it properly, the 'Select Packages' box of TexMod will now contain the name of the mod(s) you selected.

5. Now Use TexMod To Start Guild Wars With Your Mod(s) Loaded

If you've picked a target application and selected packages, then you are all set. Click the 'Run' button at the bottom of TexMod and you should be good to go. Here is an image showing all steps completed:

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2011-02-17, 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-11, 5:01 am

Useful Things To Know About TexMod

Official Guild Wars Wiki TexMod Page:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_modifying_in-game_graphics

Official Guild Wars Wiki TexMod Mods Page:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_modifying_in-game_graphics/Player_made_modifications

The above tutorial showed how to set up Cartography Made Easy with TexMod, but that is only one out of countless other options for use with the program. There are tons of other mods to mess around with. Keep in mind that many of the mods to download come in .zip or .rar files, and they won't work in TexMod unless they are completely extracted out to their .tpf file selves. Each mod can be located and applied to Guild Wars in much the same way as the Carto Made Easy mod above. Assuming you know where to locate any newly-downloaded TexMod mod(s), just substitute Carto Made Easy for the other(s).

IMPORTANT: Potential Bugs/Glitches With TexMod

The only problem with TexMod is that it can be a bit glitchy/buggy. Sometimes with TexMod running you'll see weird graphics patches on your Guild Wars screen. This is because it didn't overlay properly. When you encounter a problem such as this, don't fret. It's nothing permanently game-breaking and nothing that will force you to close and restart Guild Wars. It can easily be fixed by minimizing and maximizing GW a few times until the problems go away and your mod works as intended.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-11, 5:06 am

Reave's old TexMod tutorial from about two years ago had missing Tinypic images. (More fallout from the Tinypic Crisis of 2010.)

This particular TexMod that I've prepared is for those people who aren't too good with computers and aren't good with unzipping files, moving files around, or anything else of that sort. This has TexMod PLUS the Cartography Made Easy mod included with it already. Nothing else to download, move in, etc., unless you are interested in trying out other mods besides Cartography Made Easy.

For the tutorial I went step-by-step and explained everything in detail, which at first glance can make it seem more complicated than it is. In all actuality, using TexMod only takes a few easy steps once you get the hang of it. Don't be scared off. Smile

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 9:05 am

I've been using texmod for quite some time now and it's always worked perfectly, until today. Every time I try and load Cartography Made Easy the game launches, and everything works fine, except the mod hasn't actually loaded. My map just stays the same. Just to make sure, I read and followed this guide exactly (it's the same as I've been doing it since I started using texmod) and it still won't work. Any advice?

EDIT: I also tried restarting my computer, deleting and redownloading all texmod AND carto made easy files and running it through a copy of guild wars located elsewhere on my hard drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 11:01 am

Link wrote:
I've been using texmod for quite some time now and it's always worked perfectly, until today. Every time I try and load Cartography Made Easy the game launches, and everything works fine, except the mod hasn't actually loaded. My map just stays the same. Just to make sure, I read and followed this guide exactly (it's the same as I've been doing it since I started using texmod) and it still won't work. Any advice?

EDIT: I also tried restarting my computer, deleting and redownloading all texmod AND carto made easy files and running it through a copy of guild wars located elsewhere on my hard drive.

Did a quick Google search to see what I could find, as that is an unusual error:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-459719.html

^^ Someone had the same problem as you are having, and one of the responses given was that game updates can sometimes make TexMod run wonky - especially if GW downloads an update or extra files while you are trying to start GW using TexMod. The suggestion was to run an -image to make sure you had all the files downloaded. Seeing as the past 24 hours has seen an update build plus about 3-4 follow-up builds, this might be the case.

In addition to the -image, I'd suggest cleaning out your PC temp files with either CCleaner or Glary Utilities (free version). If TexMod has gotten wonky it may be trying to load with the same temp files it was using previously.

Another suggestion made in that thread was to make sure that TexMod isn't getting triggered as malicious by whatever Antivirus program you have running. (Sometimes the AV won't alert you but simply not allow it to load.) If so, set it and the Carto Made Easy files as exceptions (ie. to not scan) in your AV.

You could also try reinstalling/upgrading video drivers. Not sure if that would work though.

Couldn't find anything other than that. I've personally never had issue with TexMod not working right, but after an update I ALWAYS run an -image so that might be it. If none of these suggestions help, then you may want to post over on Guru or something. Someone over there might know more.

What Windows are you using?
What videocard do you have?

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 1:58 pm

Done -image, nothing's changed. Also used CCleaner, temporarily disabled AV, and made sure that graphics drivers are updated.
Using ATi Radeon HD 5830 on Windows 7.

This is irritating as other than 1 Prophecies mission, all I need to do for 50/50 Hall of Monuments is exploration of Tyria and Nightfall, and as pathetic as it sounds I simply cannot do it without cartography mods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
End
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 2:47 pm

Did you check to see if any other mods work?

You have the clear line ui don't ya? load that up and see if that works. If it dosen't it could very well be an issue with the carto mod being outdated after the most recent update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 9:38 pm

Found a pretty recent thread in Guru's Technician's Corner about TexMod:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/texmod-not-working-what-have-t10464659.html

That thread also directs to the Elona Cartographer thread on Guru which has this interesting suggestion from Marty Silverblade:

Quote :
Are you in 'Package Mode'? You need to be in 'Package Mode', not 'Logging Mode'.

Here is Marty Silverblade's pic:

Make sure you didn't accidentally change that setting.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 9:50 pm

End wrote:
If it doesn't it could very well be an issue with the carto mod being outdated after the most recent update.

I just tested TexMod and Carto Made Easy and post-update it's working 100% OK for me.

Link, I honestly don't know what it could be. Try posting in that Guru thread and see if people there have any ideas.

Did Windows Update from Win7 automatically update your drivers recently? That's one of my pet peeves about Win7. I will tell you that ATI's drivers are shit and have been for over a year. Constant issues stemming from almost every successive driver update. My vidcard is older (HD 3850), but I'm using the Catalyst v9.12 Hotfix drivers as the entire v10 series was giving me issues with HW acceleration, etc. (Known issue)

I hope Mr. Carto Made Easy will still come around once the Cantha: Winds Of Change update comes out, as that will be adding in new explorable areas into Cantha. Smile

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2011-02-19, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
End
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 9:56 pm

TideSwayer wrote:
Found a pretty recent thread in Guru's Technician's Corner about TexMod:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/texmod-not-working-what-have-t10464659.html

That thread also directs to the Elona Cartographer thread on Guru which has this interesting suggestion from Marty Silverblade:

Quote :
Are you in 'Package Mode'? You need to be in 'Package Mode', not 'Logging Mode'.

Here is Marty Silverblade's pic:

Make sure you didn't accidentally change that setting.

hey look you found a thread with one of my prick posts

+10 Internets for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-19, 10:29 pm

Welllllllll I just deleted all other copies of guild wars from my hard drive, on the off-chance that it would change something. I then loaded Guild Wars through texmod and it downloaded some more files.. Wtf? Anyway I closed and relaunched GW. Now it works. So thanks for the help but it turns out that it's a pretty terrible excuse for a problem anyway. Oh well Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brother_Zi
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-21, 6:17 am

Texmod glitch xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-21, 6:40 am

That is the weirdest TexMod glitch I've seen, lol. Looks like you rolled a CD for a character. Razz

Remember, if your CD gets all scratched up just smear toothpaste from the middle to the outside all over and it will be as good as new again.

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-21, 6:56 am

Does that actually work? Toothpaste that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-02-21, 7:03 am

Brother_Zi wrote:
Does that actually work? Toothpaste that is.

Confirmed. If you don't beleive me that toothpaste is a viable method, go ahead and google it. That's how I fixed my scratched American Pie 2 DVD. You have to make sure that all that's left over after the excess toothpaste is wiped off is a really thin layer though. Really makes a mess of the underside of the disk but it works.

In other news, I also once got a scratched Gamecube game to work by putting it in almost-boiling water for about 30 seconds. Boiling water is a mixed bag but it worked for me.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2011-10-18, 9:10 am

UPDATED @ 2011-10-18: Replaced dead download links with working download links

Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2012-01-15, 12:22 am

I was having all the trouble in the world getting Texmod. Nothing I did could make it work...basically the one on Wiki is all fucked, couldn't even open the application itself.
Coincidentally, I search the web for it and it brings me right here.

Haha, you the man though Steve...Much appreciated, finally got it.

/Edit: I spoke too soon. It still won't even open.

Sigh.

Spiritz wrote:
Off top of my head - did you check texmods user config ( permissions ) and made sure its users are correctly set ?

Great job, man.

This is exactly how I was able to do it thanks to you and this website guiding me through changing the Permissions

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

^^^ thought I'd share this. it's a big problem with Vista. anyways, this is how to solve it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrseasonsaltz
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2012-02-25, 9:30 pm

Link wrote:
Welllllllll I just deleted all other copies of guild wars from my hard drive, on the off-chance that it would change something. I then loaded Guild Wars through texmod and it downloaded some more files.. Wtf? Anyway I closed and relaunched GW. Now it works. So thanks for the help but it turns out that it's a pretty terrible excuse for a problem anyway. Oh well Neutral

I had this same problem last night. What I did to fix it was just run the copy of guild wars that was made with multi-launch. I think it has something to do with multi launch but I don't know exactly what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   2012-02-26, 4:45 am

mrseasonsaltz wrote:
Link wrote:

I had this same problem last night. What I did to fix it was just run the copy of guild wars that was made with multi-launch. I think it has something to do with multi launch but I don't know exactly what the problem is.

I think it changes which .dat file is associated with a certain .exe, and magic and stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TexMod (With Cartography Made Easy Included) & Tutorial   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top