Share | 

/accept, /deny

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tshedd31
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: /accept, /deny   2011-03-21, 9:46 pm

I know these haven't been working for a while reave and steve, but was wondering if it's something thats a simple fix or if it's a thing with the forum theme, but I thing they're useful to have so applicants can see at a glance if it's a yay or nay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-21, 11:36 pm

Besides the fact that it stopped working 100% of the time for some odd reason, it's a better idea in theory than it is in practice. Every time you edited a post (and this has to be done for the formal accept/deny/trials thread marker), it took the new colored 'accept' and 'deny' used in the post(s) and substituted color code in again. (Just the way substitution works, since it's technically the same string as before just surrounded by color tags.) Basically, it makes a mess of the post with 'accept' and 'deny' surrounded by several nested red/green color tags. You won't see it in a normal view of the post (as outer nested color codes take precedence over each preceding inner one), but a glance at the 'Edit Post' box will show the mess they make.

All you should do now instead is just color /accept and /deny manually when you write it. It's easy enough to do and saves a hell of a lot of post cleanup hassle. There's a red and a green built-in. If you want to use the bright green, it's color code lime.

For /accept, you'd type:

Code:
[color=lime][b]/accept[/b][/color]

For /deny, you'd type:

Code:
[color=red][b]/deny[b][/color]

You'll notice I am also using the b and /b tags too. I always use those BOLD tags whenever I color text. You don't have to, but I think it makes it stand out even more.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 8:55 am

Tshedd31 wrote:
I know these haven't been working for a while reave and steve, but was wondering if it's something thats a simple fix.

hmm.... just took a look, it all got whipped out. How it worked originally was by word censoring.

It's now fixed and every new post/reply will display it again. Existing posts will still be non censored until a mod/user clicks edit and saves the post which will update it.

EDIT: Removed due to too many issues.

Last edited by Reave on 2011-03-22, 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 9:10 am

Reave wrote:
Tshedd31 wrote:
I know these haven't been working for a while reave and steve, but was wondering if it's something thats a simple fix.

hmm.... just took a look, it all got whipped out. How it worked originally was by word censoring.

It's now fixed and every new post/reply will display it again. Existing posts will still be non censored until a mod clicks edit and saves the post which will update it.

The issue that I mentioned still stands. EVERY TIME you edit a post, since /accept and /deny[b] are still part of the substitution string, they will get substituted again.

Even something small as three post edits can get a post looking like:

Code:

[color=lime][b][color=lime][b]/accept[/b][/color][/b][/color]

to

[color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b]/accept[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color]

to

[color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b]/accept[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color]

to

[color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b][color=lime][b]/accept[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color]

You won't see it in the normal forum post view, but the actual post keeps getting nested with [b]/accept
and [b][b]/deny[b][b] text substitutions. It's recursively substituting since the original string to substitute is also part of the substitution string.

This is why automatic substitutions of the same string text is BAD, oh so bad.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 9:11 am

Shit. I just had to make edits to that above post and the shit is already happening. Ugh. Sad

The substitution string must be wrong somewhere, Reave, since I shouldn't be seeing any tags in the normal post view.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2011-03-22, 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 9:12 am

I see what your taking about Steve, it keeps replying itself, clutters the post, and annoying when editing. Removed the word censoring.

Last edited by Reave on 2011-03-22, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 9:18 am

The closing bold tag on the deny substitution string needs a slash. That's what's wrong with the substitution text.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   2011-03-22, 9:27 am

TideSwayer wrote:
The closing bold tag on the deny substitution string needs a slash. That's what's wrong with the substitution text.

I tried it without the bold tags for word censoring and shows properly, but as you said and what I saw the color tag will reapply itself on adding additional color tag on each edit.

Last edited by Reave on 2011-03-22, 9:32 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: /accept, /deny   

Back to top Go down

/accept, /deny

View previous topic View next topic Back to top