Share | 

Northeast Snowstorm in October?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-28, 6:54 pm

I doubt there will be as much snow as the weather stations boast about. According to the map, my area will get around 6-10". Good thing I have a Subaru now, AWD FTW! Plus I wanna have some fun with my car in the snow. Very Happy

Quote :
Low pressure will intensify just off the East Coast on Saturday producing significant snow across the Northeast. We could see [up to] 6 to 12 inches of heavy, wet snow.

Source Link

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-28, 8:13 pm

We got a coating of snow on Thursday. Just the grass though. Nothing stuck, and it has all melted away now.

We are in line for 4"-7" tomorrow evening/night. However, we are on the northern fringe of where the 1"-3" meets the 4"-7" on our local forecast. I'm sure we won't get too much here in the Hudson River valley (as compared to the higher elevations and downstate hilly/mountainous regions), but it should be enough to at least require breaking the snow shovels out of storage. At least this time of year it will melt away quickly, but it's still shitty.

UGH!

NERF WINTER!

I don't remember the last time we got snow in October. Probably 15 years ago at least. There was a big October 4th snowstorm here back in 1987 that came completely out of nowhere (developed rapidly despite contrary forecasts) and dropped a foot and a half of snow on us. Knocked power out, cancelled school for 2 days straight, etc.. It's one of our area's all-time great snowstorms - ironically known as "The October 4th storm". Razz

Weird goings-on we've had this year in our area. Had a week-long mid-90's heatwave in early May, earthquake in August, hurricane in August, snowstorm in October... What next? Mind-spawned tornadoes? Time-travel in our basements? Piranhas in our bathtubs? AIDS in our oatmeal? Black kids from white parents? All bets are off at this point.

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-29, 1:02 am

I completely agree with that "NERF WINTER"

I hate winter. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrseasonsaltz
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-29, 2:24 pm

It sucks living in florida
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-29, 9:25 pm

Yeah. Right....

Well, I guess you have one thing to complain about.

Old people.

But then again, PA, last I knew, was the 2nd most populated state of people over 65..... So I get both. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-29, 9:35 pm

Our snow hasn't actually started accumulating on the roads/sidewalks yet. Thus far, we have about half an inch on the grass. The power has flickered a couple of times already so it could go out tonight. Maybe not. Flickered the other night too and stayed up.

Storm is supposed to pull out of this area within a couple hours after midnight (fast-moving storm), so there isn't much time for us to get a larger accumulation. If it drags and lasts towards sunrise, our temps are going up into the mid-40's/near 50 tomorrow so this shit will melt by noon.

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-29, 10:19 pm

We must have been right on the outside of it cause we didn't get any snow, but it was HELLA cold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-30, 8:41 am

We got about half an inch of snow on the grass and a slight layer of slush on the roads/sidewalks. Nothing else. Areas all around me got hit harder though so the storm was certainly not a dud by any means. (I just got lucky.) Snowfall totals were actually higher than the forecasts for many areas. Western Massachusetts got hit with over a foot of snow. Parts of Connecticut got hammered as well.

Note to snow: now GTFO 'til December.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   2011-10-30, 3:59 pm

Connecticut got a lot of snow, some parts up to 27 inches (Plainfeild & Windsor). My area about 6. This snow is very heavy and not the average light snow. Anyways I'm currently getting power from a small generator I got from my parents and luckily my internet (ATT uverse) are being powered somehow outside by ATT. I don't expect to get full power back until 5-6 days. Ill be around the forums/gw when I get power back.

Very few gas stations are open and it's crazy there. Took me about 20 min to get gas for my generator. People are just going crazy here. Here is a current map of the blackout in CT.

http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Northeast Snowstorm in October?   

Back to top Go down

Northeast Snowstorm in October?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top