[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

[ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: [ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)   2012-01-29, 1:23 am

James Boer Talks GW2 Audio Design

This blog post is more than a few months old (August 2011), but with the news of GW2 public betas being around the corner, I'm only now starting to catch up on what's been revealed about the game overall (aside from basics).

I saw this little section that really intrigued me:

Quote :
Finally, no matter how fantastic a game’s music is, when you hear the same music for the thousandth time, you start wanting to change things up a bit. Many players will simply turn the game music off and play their own collections. The problem is that an external music player has no context as to what’s going on in-game. Guild Wars 2 will offer a solution for this as well. We’re giving players the option of choosing external music playlists that the game’s audio engine will use as a replacement for the default in-game music. Players can choose different playlists for background ambience and battle music, for instance. Additionally, when appropriate, such as during cinematics, the game can revert back to in-game music temporarily to give the best possible cinematic experience, then resume the custom playlist when it’s done.

Many people simply turned down (off) their GW1 music sliders to hear their own external music. I like how GW2 now allows custom soundtracks so that extra step isn't necessary. Custom soundtracks are one of the cool things that initially allured me to the XBox 360 back in the day. I thought it was a real "next-gen" idea. Nothing like listening to the Rocky IV soundtrack while playing a 360 driving game and still being able to hear the sound effects, etc.. Smile

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)   2012-01-29, 1:49 am

TideSwayer wrote:
James Boer Talks GW2 Audio Design

Quote :
Players can choose different playlists for background ambience and battle music, for instance.

Thats sweet I plan on making a loop of eye of the tiger for my battle music. I just recently started playing with effects turned on. I still dont use the music ever because it just gets annoying. Im assuming this means there will be a sync feature involved with gw2? Or maybe you will just have to manually put the songs into a GW2 audio file.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)   2012-01-29, 2:29 am

Probably a sync feature. The game will most likely come with built-in support for MP3, AAC, and FLAC audio files. I doubt they will make it too complicated for the average user and make it so you need to copy files manually, convert them, etc..

As someone who never turns off their GW1 music (I like it), the one thing that really pisses me off about EotN is how fast and LOUD the goddamn battle music becomes. It's sooooooooo motherfucking annoying and very headache-inducing when playing during late hours.

For me, a battle music playlist at the very least is a near-certainty. For my Beetletun Defense Force (yes, I am still planning on this as well as maybe defending other towns/areas found to be frequently attacked during Dynamic Events), I plan to start with this on repeat and expand from there:

The Power Station - We Fight For Love (from the movie, Commando):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiDuOLTy_5w

Shit. I need to get working on my playlist(s) now. Smile

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)   

Back to top Go down

[ArenaNet Blog] GW2 will allow for custom soundtracks (Think: XBox 360)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top