View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-01-30, 11:18 am

Canthan New Year 2012
Guild Wars Festival Event

The 2012 Canthan New Year's Festival begins at noon Pacific on Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 and will end at noon Pacific on Monday, February 6th, 2012. On Sunday, February 5th, the Celestial Dragon will appear in Shing Jea Monastery every three hours to sample Canthan cuisine.

The finale is set to take place on Super Bowl Sunday, for those of you who care.

Here is a picture of this year's mini, the Celestial Dragon:

For more information, visit the Canthan New Year 2012 information page at GuildWars.com.

Additional Community Canthan New Year 2012 Notes:

1. For those of you who plan to spend a great deal of time this weekend AFK'ing on the Shing Jea Monastery Boardwalk Rings, it would be appreciated if you'd set your in-game status to 'Away' so people don't get the impression you are being anti-social. Thanks!

2. Piles Of Glittering Dust are needed for one of the quests, so be sure to stock up early in case the materials trader sells out of it. (Note: The materials trader actually hasn't sold out of dust during Canthan New Year for the past few years, so you should be okay.)

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-01-31, 3:40 am

TideSwayer wrote:

The finale is set to take place on Super Bowl Sunday, for those of you who care.

I figured you would be pulling against Eli Manning.

Anyway I cant wait to get me a celestial kuunavang. Im gonna be farming as long as possible. Might even make a few characters and get em up to lvl 5 or whatever it is to do the quests. Lunars are worth their weight in gold if you hold on to them a few months. They were set at a constant 40e a stack for the majority of last year so if you have time definitely do the quests.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-01-31, 5:54 am

Not sure what my plans are for Super Bowl Sunday at this point. The NY Giants are the big local team here and my nephew is a huge Giants fan. He might be having a party or some kind of get-together for the game. If so, I won't even make it in-game for many of the finale events. Good thing the event-wide quest lines are really the only thing I care about, with the hat being a yearly repeat (although a yearly repeat of one of the coolest hats, IMO) and the finale prizes not all that worthwhile.

mrseasonsaltz wrote:
I figured you would be pulling against Eli Manning.

Believe it or not, I used to be a big NY Giants fan myself (as big as I am a Red Sox and Spurs fan), but unlike the rest of the damn country, my interest in the NFL has decreased in recent years. The Giants were a boring team in Eli Manning's early seasons, and at the same time the Boston Red Sox and San Antonio Spurs were kicking ass and going on several championship runs, so I kind of shifted focus from the NFL and never really moved it back. I'm not the biggest Eli Manning fan, no, but he has been doing his part over time to change my stance on that somewhat.

It's funny because on Christmas Day I was up at my sister's house talking with my nephew about how bad the Giants were this year (they really were playing awful at the time) and how the team needed to be blown up. Giants teams for the past five seasons or so have had the disturbing trend of starting hot out of the gate only for injuries to mount by the 2nd half of the season and the team to subsequently fall apart after that due to loss of depth. This season the same exact thing happened again, but unexpectedly the Giants (luckily) found a way to survive long enough to actually get healthy again and return to form. This is not the Giants team who couldn't get out of their own way for much of the 2nd half of the regular season.

One of the reasons I'm pulling for the Giants in the Super Bowl is because I worry about the New Englanders getting complacent with the Red Sox this season if the Patriots are victorious. The Sox need the undivided attention (and pressure for success) of Red Sox Nation as the organization is in slight disarray overall and the sour taste from last year's September collapse after spending the prior four months as the best team in baseball is still in my fucking mouth. Sad Any hate I have had for the NY Giants is superceded by my love for the Red Sox.

The bigger reason I think the Giants will win the Super Bowl is that, records aside, I think this year's Giants are a better team than the Patriots when considering the head-to-head matchups. The Giants are built to take advantage of the Pats' weaknesses, not to mention they have a bit of a mental edge on the Patriots. Giants have a better defense and lots of offensive weapons, and the Patriots' best option, Gronkowski, will not be anywhere near 100% by game time. (High ankle sprains are a bitch.) I rooted for the Patriots four years ago because I wanted to see a team go undefeated and they were the best team regardless, loss in SB XLII notwithstanding.

We'll see what happens in the Super Bowl. Giants look to be the favorite (in my eyes), but that's not to say the Patriots lack the ability to exact revenge and get the 'W' themselves. I think the Giants will win by double digits, but it could just as easily go the other way, or even come down to the wire and maybe even overtime.

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-01-31, 5:16 pm

I agree. I think it will be a good game to watch. It certainly won't be LSU/Bama rounds 1 or 2. It's gonna be a high scoring game and Eli manning is looking good this post season. I'm certainly no Giants fan but Tom Brady is probably one of my least favorite people on this planet. He's followed closely in my rankings by Bill Belichick so I'm not a fan of most of the organization. Not to mention Patriots fans are some of the most annoying fans in sports.... not as bad as Red Sox fans but still up there :p

I think the Patriots have an axe to grind after their loss a couple years ago so hopefully they don't have a strong showing. The last time they played in the Super Bowl it was one of the best games I've seen in the NFL. Not to mention one of the greatest catches of all time happened on the Giants' game winning drive:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-02-05, 6:37 pm

Go pats!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   2012-02-08, 5:12 pm

Decided to sit on my fortunes for now and sell them in a few weeks at a premium. I ended up with 680 total or so. I plan to purchase about 3-4 Celestial Dragons, but I'm going to wait a few days/couple of weeks for the price to drop slightly on those.

PostSubject: Re: Canthan New Year 2012   

Back to top Go down

Canthan New Year 2012

View previous topic View next topic Back to top