What’s Reaves up to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-01, 7:19 pm

What’s Reaves up to?

- Going to school full time (Projected graduation Fall 2012, Associates in Information Systems, if all goes well.)
- Intern as IT for Area Health Education Center (currently designing & developing an interactive website for their HeartStrong program / Database design.)
- Work retail at Black & Decker on the weekends.
- Recently redesigned my portfolio @ http://tinyminute.com/
- Working out at the gym.
- Looking into freelance web design jobs for local businesses.
- The rest is just personal/family stuff.

The list can keep going, but wanted to keep it short. It may not look like much, but if I break it down into details, it's overwhelming. Going to the gym helps reduce the stress.

I’m still alive, if anyone was wondering where I have been or what I’m doing.

So that’s my story.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-01, 11:31 pm

Good to hear that you're still alive and that things are progressing well for you. I wish you would keep in touch more often. I was going to PM you and find out what your situation was, but I figured you were too busy to bother.

There isn't much left of a fort here to hold down, but at least everything is in order.

OUR FORUMS URL SITUATION!

The only issue that needs addressing with the ECTOs forums is the URL situation. Back in early December 2011 Forumotion officially shut off some of their old forum domains, and sadly, I think darkbb.com was one of them. (They had removed darkbb.com from new forum registrations for a while prior to that so I expected it sooner or later.) As a result, our forums now officially redirect to ectos-guild.com since that domain name is connected to our forums account. I've made no secret that I hate the ectos-guild domain name, as it lacks real forward-thinking and is limiting in scope. (I think this place has grown to be more than just a simple guild forum over the years.) Not to mention that We Farm Your [ECTOs] - the guild proper - has been officially retired and there isn't even another guild here, so... yeah.

I don't think there can be any future here as ectos-guild.com, so that domain name is going to need to be cancelled (FOREVER). To have this domain name cancelled is something I can't do, Reave. You, as the technical forums founder, have to do it via a PM to a Forumotion Admin on their Support forums. Apparently, the ectos.forumotion.com URL works here (must've been part of the darkbb.com switch, but redirects to the aforementioned ectos-guild.com), so if you can find some time to PM a Forumotion admin and get the ectos-guild domain name officially cancelled AND removed from our forums account (FOREVER) and revert us to ectos.forumotion.com, that would be optimal. Make it clear that we have no intention of ever wanting to use the ectos-guild domain name ever again and that our intent is to build up enough activity points to choose a new custom domain name for ourselves in the future, assuming that there actually is a future here.

tl;dr - Our old ectos.darkbb.com URL is gone - as of early December 2011. Our forum now redirects to the unwanted ectos-guild.com domain. Our forums actually work with the ectos.forumotion.com URL although they redirect to the aforementioned ectos-guild.com. Ideally, I would prefer that the ectos-guild.com domain name gets cancelled and PERMANENTLY REMOVED from our forums account and never to be seen/heard from again. I wouldn't mind having the ectos.forumotion.com URL going forward, and maybe in the future we can build up enough activity points to choose an all-new custom domain name for ourselves.

Reave, as the technical forums founder, only you can see to these forums URL issues, but you haven't been around. Given how inactive the forums have become overall lately, it wasn't really a pressing matter to PM you back here.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 12:12 am

Just sent an email to an Forumotion Admin. I mention I wanted all traces of the custom domain to be removed from the forums and be reverted to the default forum URL.

Also I noticed that in the admin panel the "Force the URL redirection" was on. Just turned that off. Not sure if you can see that.
General > Forums Address > Personalized domain name.

Since there is stuff that only my account can see, I was thinking just making it a shared account. I would just change the pass so you can log into it and make the necessary forum changes. The only thing I ask is don't change the password, as I still would like my account founder status. I really don't have the time like I used to to play with the forums and you're on it the most. So it makes sense to share the main account.

PM me if you're interested.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 12:33 am

Reave wrote:
Since there is stuff that only my account can see, I was thinking just making it a shared account. I would just change the pass so you can log into it and make the necessary forum changes. The only thing I ask is don't change the password, as I still would like my account founder status. I really don't have the time like I used to to play with the forums and you're on it the most. So it makes sense to share the main account.

PM me if you're interested.

Yeah, might as well make the founder account a shared account between us. You could even change the username to something generic like Founder Admin or something, which would allow you to make a separate Reave username account for just normal forums usage (and then give it similar admin abilities as my TideSwayer account). You could move over your sig/avatar info, etc., and would only be losing your post count. Nothing major.

I was actually going to suggest that a long time ago but never really had a reason to bring it up. The difference in account power between our respective user accounts only comes into play once in a great while, if that.

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 1:00 am

TideSwayer wrote:
and would only be losing your post count. Nothing major.

Noooooooooooooo Steve how would you feel if you lost your 3000 posts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reave
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 1:09 am

@ Mike

For now, I'm keeping my account the way it is now. You may see my account log in from time to time because Steve now has access for making founder forums changes.

TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 1:19 am

Yeah. For now, it's fine. It's only once in a while where Reave having extra admin functionality on these forums over me actually comes into play. I can't even think of anything other than a few admin panel settings that I lack access to where I would actually need extra founder access for. Most (~99%) of the Admin Panel is configurable by both of us already. It will be good in the short-term while Reave isn't planning on being around much or at all in case something important needs attention. Once Reave gets the time and interest in being more of a routine visitor here, and the approach of GW2 should remedy that before too long, then the issue becomes moot entirely.

In any case, I'll test the account info later. I have to get back in-game and finish getting my 2nd account ready for tomorrow's Canthan New Year stuff. Hopefully the URL situation gets resolved with just that one email that Reave sent earlier so I don't need to drag Reave back here from the shitload of other obligations he is currently swamped with.

mrseasonsaltz wrote:
TideSwayer wrote:
and would only be losing your post count. Nothing major.

Noooooooooooooo Steve how would you feel if you lost your 3000 posts

I haven't paid attention to my post count in a long time. Besides, my total is artificially inflated due to all of the upkeep/maintenance stuff that I handle.

If the forums pick back up activity-wise, I will probably re-do the Worth points icon to something a bit nicer, but there's no need for that right now. The Worth value is actually still being calculated on your individual user profile page, but it's turned off in the forum threads user sidebar. Ironically, Worth is completely worthless, but I still like having it enabled (even if it isn't visible).

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 3:45 am

I miss you guys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 10:01 am

Link wrote:
I miss you guys

I've been playing GW again lately but not on any kind of set schedule. I've been much too busy for the past couple of months or so to allocate regular time for the game itself so I've usually been getting on at random hours/really late at night and often with several days off in-between appearances. Haven't really been doing much in-game, just working on 2nd account characters, Nick farming, etc..

Anyways, I noticed this morning that the main forums URL is back to ectos.darkbb.com. Excellent!

Reave wrote:
Also I noticed that in the admin panel the "Force the URL redirection" was on. Just turned that off. Not sure if you can see that.
General > Forums Address > Personalized domain name.

Looks like Forumotion had nothing to do with our URL going awry in December. I don't know how the hell the forum redirection setting got set to that, but it appears that was the culprit. Reave hasn't even been around to change anything himself, lol. (I don't have that option in my Admin Panel.) Looking through the domain name section in Reave's Admin Panel, the ectos-guild.com domain name expires 181 days from now. Hopefully it dies out and disappears forever.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2012-02-02, 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 12:05 pm

I actually noticed that in the past couple of days my 'Don't e-mail me!' setting had been flipped the other way and I started receiving e-mails for thread replies again.. any ideas what caused that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-02, 12:16 pm

Link wrote:
I actually noticed that in the past couple of days my 'Don't e-mail me!' setting had been flipped the other way and I started receiving e-mails for thread replies again.. any ideas what caused that?

Happened to me too. Just one of those Forumotion quirks. It reminds me of the forum login cookie that has been messed up since the dawn of time. On one random day towards the end of every month, you cannot stay logged in no matter what - because the cookie has expired and doesn't renew until the next official day. It's so annoying. I know that's a Forumotion-wide problem because I get the same issue over on John's RoJ forums too (on the same exact day).

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   2012-02-03, 2:48 am

Thats why I use my spam email adress for all forums because I get like 50 emails a day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What’s Reaves up to?   

Back to top Go down

What’s Reaves up to?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ECTOs Community Forums :: Hangout :: Random Conversation-