[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

[ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-05-17, 4:21 pm

http://www.arena.net/blog/reserving-your-character-name-for-guild-wars-2

Quote :
Ever since we announced the Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchase program and Headstart Access, we’ve had a lot of questions about how name reservation will work for existing Guild Wars players. Here’s how it will work:

Character names in the Guild Wars universe work differently than they do in most other MMOs. Whereas in most MMOs character names are unique only within their world/server, in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, character names are unique across the entire game. In Guild Wars 2, when a player acquires a name like Wizardex, he or she is acquiring it across all worlds. Clearly this places more importance on grabbing the name early.

Today no one actually has the name Wizardex, because all character names from the original Guild Wars were two words or more. All one-word names will be up for grabs at the start of the Guild Wars 2 Headstart Access period. But there are currently 20 million two-word names in use by existing Guild Wars players. We need a policy that allows dedicated players to hold on to their established names, while freeing up the bulk of names for the rush of Guild Wars 2 players who will come into the game at launch.

Thus our policy will simply be as follows: to preserve your character name from Guild Wars into Guild Wars 2, you must be an active Guild Wars player (more on that below), and you must create a Guild Wars 2 character with the same name as your Guild Wars character during the Headstart Access period or on launch day.

After launch day (and after we work through support tickets filed on launch day), we’ll free up the millions of unclaimed names for new Guild Wars 2 players to use.

To implement this name reservation system, we need to build a list of the character names of active Guild Wars players that we’ll reserve through launch day. We actually need to build that list a few weeks prior to the launch of Guild Wars 2.

So we’ll use the following very generous definition of active: Guild Wars players will be considered active—thus having their Guild Wars names reserved and available to claim during Headstart Access and on launch day—if they have logged into the game at least once between January 1, 2012 and the day we build the name reservation list.

We’ll warn the community before we build the list, but that’s irrelevant, because there’s no reason for anyone to wait. If you want to reserve character names from Guild Wars into Guild Wars 2, log in to the original game now so we know you’re active!

We’ll see you in-game,

The Guild Wars 2 Team

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-17, 2:47 am

I contacted this German whore because he took the one word name: Mio. Bitch replied me with: I know who you are from GW1 PvP and I don't want to give you this name.

What the actual fuck ?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-17, 3:11 am

Mio wrote:
I contacted this German whore because he took the one word name: Mio. Bitch replied me with: I know who you are from GW1 PvP and I don't want to give you this name.

What the actual fuck ?

WTF?! I could see if someone just wanted the name for legitimate reasons or something, but to steal it solely to spite you? Fuck that. Never change, GW community. Never change. Evil or Very Mad If you can't win the race on Headstart Day 1 for the name I guess you'll have to come up with 'something Mio' or 'Mio something' instead. What a prick.

I was saving this for a rainy day, Mio, but I think you're going to need it now:

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-17, 5:03 am

Yeah really lame. I wanted this Asuran Ele/Guardian called Mio ... Let's hope I can get the name on Headstart! Can't wait for my CE !!!

I knew 12 of those !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-17, 5:15 am

Mio wrote:
Yeah really lame. I wanted this Asuran Ele/Guardian called Mio ... Let's hope I can get the name on Headstart! Can't wait for my CE !!!

I knew 12 of those !

What you'll need to do is a lightning-fast character roll. Don't worry about race/class/profession. Just get a character made for the name Mio ASAP. If GW1's name reservations were any indication, the name is reserved for you for an hour or so after deletion, so get the quickie character made, delete it, and then make your character of choice.

Granted, ANet may be doing something different for GW2 this time around, but I'd give it a shot.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-17, 5:32 am

TideSwayer wrote:
Mio wrote:

I knew 12 of those !

What you'll need to do is a lightning-fast character roll. Don't worry about race/class/profession. Just get a character made for the name Mio ASAP. If GW1's name reservations were any indication, the name is reserved for you for an hour or so after deletion, so get the quickie character made, delete it, and then make your character of choice.

Granted, ANet may be doing something different for GW2 this time around, but I'd give it a shot.

Oh didn't know they'll use the same system in GW2. So just randomly create " Mio ", and then its reserved for my account ? Neat! Stupid doctor is taking ages to come so i can sign my release papers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Mio name hijacker   2012-07-17, 7:33 am

Mio wrote:
Oh didn't know they'll use the same system in GW2. So just randomly create " Mio ", and then its reserved for my account ? Neat! Stupid doctor is taking ages to come so i can sign my release papers

I don't know if they are or not. Just speculating. At any rate, it's a good tactic to get the name reserved ASAP even if you want to wait a bit to re-roll the character to what you really want (in the event the name immediately goes back into the system). I'm sure after the initial rush your Mio terrorist will give up and move onto something else.

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-07-28, 12:44 am

Saw this from a random GW2 thread just after the BWE3, confirming that temporary name reservations will happen like they did in GW1:

Quote :
Info about character names:

Q: While most everyone understands the name reservation policy for new characters, I would like to ask about ‘after’ we create them. Once the game goes live, and we name our characters, will we be able to delete them, and have a set time frame to reuse the name?

For example: Charr Ranger – Bob From Accounting
Say I delete Charr Ranger – Bob From Accounting, so I can make a Human Warrior of the same name. Will I have time to remake a new character using that same name? Or will it be a game wide free-for-all to take that name once I hit the “delete” button? I would hope that we can still reuse that name, without racing through the character creation process to reclaim it. I know GW1 had this option, but being it a brand new game, I want to be absolutely sure.

UPDATE: Confirmed with our Excellent Server Team Leader: We will have the same system in Guild Wars 2. There is a 24-hour “cool down” period before a deleted character’s name is generally available. This gives you time to build a new character and still use the same name.

Mio, at the onset of headstart day, get to 'Mio' at light speed to get your name reserved! Forget races, forget faces, forget question choices, hit -> -> -> as fast as possible and get ANY character rolled named 'Mio', then go back and remake it to what you really want.

You can win this race! I have faith, my friend. Smile

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-08-24, 5:34 am

*bump*

AN IMPORTANT REMINDER - QUICK-ROLL YOUR CHARACTERS FIRST!!!

Remember, if you are in a race to get your names reserved, make quick characters forgetting appearances/question answers just for the name slot, then go back and re-roll to the race/class/look you really want for that name. Names are reserved for 24 hours upon deletion just like they were in Guild Wars 1.

I plan to spend tomorrow afternoon and evening coming up with names for my GW2 characters. I don't think I'll be going with anything that could get taken early but I'll definitely quick-roll my characters first just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with beating out the Mio hijacker for your moniker, Mio. Smile

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   2012-08-24, 9:08 am

My names are reserved. Well, the one I care about using.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [ArenaNet Blog] Reserving Your Character Name For Guild Wars 2   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top