Share | 

Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Link
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-10-24, 7:34 am

I mean like really, these guys are the absolute shit.

What a bunch of badasses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-10-24, 10:14 pm

It's going to be a bit of a grind to get the Herald unlocked fully, but it's one of the best elite specializations. Also, that advertised Revenant armor (the bladed, spiny set that kind of looks like Charr Heavy T3 Cultural - ie. the one you see in the ads/promos and the character creation screen) is really awesome looking.

The new maps are really cool too, if not a bit overboard with regards to difficulty and soloing. I'm sure in 2017 when I (finally) get the hang of their navigation I'll feel right at home. Smile

...And the adventures! THE ADVENTURES! That sniper adventure is a really awesome demo of the new action camera system. Too bad the hit detection on the dummies is a tad off.

I don't know why everyone in-game and on the sub-reddit / official forums are bitching about lack of gold production now that dungeons have been destroyed and fractals all-but require the masteries to get the best rewards possible. The first day of the expansion I made 35g and 10e remembering the 3 magic words: "Sell! Sell! Sell!". That's right - everything will be overfarmed in a week so sell high now and recoup your supplies a little later.

Nightfury, the new ascended bat shoulder piece from the Halloween event, is REALLY cool but I think I'll wait on those and hope they're brought back next year or something. I don't have any character looks that go great with swirling shoulder bats anyhow. Wink

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-11-20, 7:11 pm

nerds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-11-20, 9:47 pm

How are you liking Tempest, Owen? I think it's my favorite elite spec that I've tried thus far. Still rockin' your Sandy Bridge?

I pugged that Migraine achievement the other night. (The hard mode version of the Mordremoth fight mission.) Talk about your battle of attrition, man. Bring condition damage for the Canoch fight or bring a newspaper.

We're a few weeks into the expansion now, and while my initial love for it has subsided a bit, I am still enjoying HoT for the most part. At the very least, it's enough to rekindle my interest and get me playing regularly again. I don't mind the added grind but I still really wish GW2 was more of a loot-drop style game like GW1 was. It is what it is though, and it's good enough.

Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-11-21, 3:33 am

Tempest is fine. Just makes Eles even more OP.

Still on the same system I built about 4 years ago. Will probably upgrade to Skylake eventually.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the expansion. It seems a lot more like a living story addition than an an expansion. Factions and Nightfall were their own standalone games with 30+ new zones and great, difficult end game content. 4 zones to me just doesn't cut it. Hopefully they add more down the line, though it looks like they are focusing more on raids. To me they are hedging a lot on people staying interested just because guild halls, scribe, and collections to unlock collections take a lot of time to finish. The "Anti-Grind" mentality certainly is still as convoluted as ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-11-22, 7:15 pm

You aren't wrong about the grind. Everyone realizes that ANet has put so much cost and time-sink to everything because there really isn't much there otherwise. Not even a hell of a lot of new skins in-game, and we've already had tons of Black Lion gemstore additions. (FFS!) Layers upon layers of crafting. Collections of collections of collections. ANet has gone a bit overboard making everyone sample almost every part of the damn game just to complete anything anymore. Feels like as time passes by we are getting less (read: ZERO) extra options for obtaining stuff and have to get things via the originally-designed method only. Hell, I think you even need to gold in some of those adventures just to max out your mastery points. F that. Wouldn't be as much of an issue if gold tier wasn't tuned for like speed-clear/perfectionist runs. I think at some point ANet will move the Adventures' mastery points to bronze/silver tier instead of silver/gold and leave the gold tier for the try-hards out there. Best compromise in my opinion. Remember during Living Story Season 1 when you didn't need to finish EVERY GODDAMN ACHIEVEMENT to get the meta reward? ANet doesn't. Some of those story achievements can be annoying, but ANet doesn't care. If you want the Mastery Point and ascended trinkets (among other grand treats), do them all or take the fall.

While I enjoy this expansion for what it is, it most certainly ISN'T some $50 value out of the box. Subsequent updates, living story, etc., may help on that front but right now I'm mainly interested in the new elite specs, class, and new stat configurations (Vipers is great) more than anything else. Truth be told, I am not all that keen on this gliding, although many MMOs are doing that sort of thing these days so I can understand why they went that route. Even as someone who enjoys 3-D platforming, jumping puzzles, Super Adventure Box, etc., I feel like the expansion zones are like playing some Zelda 64 dungeon or something similar. Too much trying to find that little nook & cranny where your thing is located rather than some epic fight to reach it. It just doesn't feel like GW1 or vanilla GW2 anymore. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

I hope the next expansion is a lot bigger in scope. More maps - and not every one has to be overcrowded with content or stuffed with meta! meta! meta! everywhere either. It's okay to have zones which are simply areas on the planet's surface with nothing doing, you know.

Raids seem like they're going to be way more elitist than GW1 speed clears were, so I'm already on the fence with regards to them. I can handle myself pretty well in GW2 though (ie. I enjoy the GW2 meta more than I ever did the speed-clear GW1 meta, etc.) so I'll probably get into them sooner or later. I am not all that pleased that ANet basically threw old-school dungeons to the wayside to make room for elitist content that only like 5% of the playerbase will ever even be able to complete. I worry that at some point (sooner rather than later) ANet will realize that and dump raid development for whatever next big, bright idea they come up with that more people will actually make use of. After all, ANet has bitched in the past about tons of their older ideas not being utilized by enough people to warrant further development. (Aetherpath's low play-rate killed dungeon development, Super Adventure Box's World 2-2's incredible length & resulting poor feedback ruined SAB development, etc.) Stay tuned on this one. Potential trainwreck incoming...

I enjoy the general lore and world of Guild Wars so I'm (probably) still in it for the long haul. Not to mention Super Adventure Box has me by the balls as it's my favorite thing in GW2 ever. The franchise has certainly changed from its GW1 heyday - and I'd be lying to claim GW still excites me as much as it once did - but whatever. I will certainly admit that my hardcore Guild Wars days are long gone, and that is a combination of both the direction the game has been heading in (Wallet Wars 2) and simply me getting older and not wanting to devote so much time to only one game anymore. I don't really care about achievement points, farming, experiencing all the game has to offer, etc., like I once did, and I was always known as someone with a completionist's mindset. If the game and series is starting to pass me by ever so slowly, so be it. Plenty of other games out there for me to play. There are a lot of players who love today's GW2 and I say more power to them.

I'm still on my Ivy Bridge setup with a GeForce 770. I plan on upgrading in about 2 years or so. Processor tech hasn't gotten too much faster but over time that 10% faster than 10% faster than 10% faster really starts adding up into extra performance. I just bought a Blu-Ray burner a few months ago because BD-R spindles are becoming pretty cheap these days - at least for 4x and 6x speeds. I did the math and I can burn 5.5x a DVD-R's capacity in just over the time it would take to burn 2x DVD-Rs (~23 min to burn and ~10min to verify). Excellent trade-off, IMO. A well-kept optical disk lasts longer than an external hard drive does. There's also some M-Disk tech out that is literally like burning your data into stone or some shit that doesn't degrade for 1,000 years.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-12-28, 9:53 am

not enough solo, tree hugging content i say
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2015-12-31, 2:14 am

A few weeks ago in this very thread I wrote that Guild Wars 2 was in danger of passing me by. I still hold to that assessment. Hard to just completely give it up since I spent a large part of the past 10 years playing this damn series, but love and reality are in a fist-fight right now and love is losing. My head is telling me that I've had my fill of Guild Wars and it's (finally) time for me to retire, but my heart won't stop with the "keep on keepin' on". As such, I'm in a game-playing lull at the moment barely staying logged in most nights past log-in chests and home instance node farming.

In my mind it feels like ANet is more interested in GW2 being a WoW clone rather than a sequel to GW1. I don't necessarily disagree with the grind that this game has become all about - as it seems an audience for that style of gameplay still exists - but I am not a willing member of said crowd. I'm simply not interested in partaking in much of the grind, or hell, any of it. I miss GW1 where max gear and stat changes were readily-accessible (ie. cheap or free) and it was the actual cosmetic loot that was the grind. In GW2, your character's progression to max capacity takes forever, is costly, and for everything else there is a drastic over-reliance on time-gated grind and/or gemstore-based cosmetics. I do not want that. I do not enjoy that. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, added to this game feels like little more than an interactive advertisement for the friggin' gemstore. It's not like GW1 was where you could roll a character, max out quick, and then just log in and farm for stuff. Everything in GW2 is such a lengthy, gated process, and quite frankly there are far too many gaming options out there competing for my time anymore.

I love the HoT maps. I love Revenants. I love the elite specializations. I am nowhere near as annoyed with Heart of Thorns as many of the whiny GW2 sub-reddit posters are. However, I am out of goals - and thus, I am just about out of interest in this game entirely. Other than 30k achievement points so I can finish my Hellfire armor set (currently at 28k+), there is simply nothing in this game anymore that I am interested in doing as far as long-term accomplishments. (Just finished off my Triple Trouble achievements a couple of weeks ago. I heavily recommend the EVOS runs - no TS requirement, lots of explanation, no bitching. A fun time. Smile) As I wrote, these days I barely log in and stay logged in for more than a few minutes. I'm still invested in the overall storyline (still 2 areas in Dragon's Stand that can't even be explored yet, so that's likely a clue with regards to Living Story Season 3), and it can still be fun to log in and mess around on a random character doing random things. I'm just not up for the ANet-authorized playtime directives anymore. "Go here, kill this, complete that, come back tomorrow for another 5% of that, come back the day after tomorrow for yet another 5% of that", etc... How do MMO players do it? FUCK.

I don't think I'll ever completely quit the game, but without the interest in putting in the man-hours to get the most out of this grindy content, why bother at all? I'm not one to do something without being 'all-in'. That's not how I roll. I've never set foot in a guild hall. I've never set foot into a raid. I am not so excited about this game currently that I am about to get all cozy with an entirely new guild of people just to play this group-oriented content - especially after being solo for ~2.5 years now. I do think said group content is good for the game, however. Just too little, too late for me. My meter's on 'empty' and there's no gas station in sight to refill my tank.

Maybe this is all just me getting older and the game issues will sort themselves out over time. We'll see. Sure feels good to vent though. If anything, sometime in early January ANet will be posting their look ahead to 2016 GW2 blog post so we'll see what's in the pipeline.

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2016-01-07, 11:12 am

While I loved Guild Wars for many years, and had a great time in GW2 on release, I've also found myself really burnt out. I played WoW for a while, tried Rift, Wildstar, and all manner of other crappy free MMOs - and none of them held onto me for long (Final Fantasy XIV did the best after WoW, managing a whopping 3 months of subscription time!). I feel like rather than games getting worse, I'm simply no longer able to commit to MMOs like I once was. My most played game in the last 2 months is the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, followed closely by Dota 2. I think my playstyle is moving more towards bursts of entertainment which are over relatively quickly (a session of either game will usually take me around an hour to complete - be that by winning, dying, losing, or ragequitting..). I just don't feel the draw any more to pour all of my now limited free time into an MMO - I think that they just require too much work and upkeep for me to be a casual player.

Maybe one day an MMO will re-capture my heart. But for now, it seems like there's not much that will do it for me. Sad, but ultimately how it had to happen eventually.

My biggest excitement in gaming right now is the impending VR releases. Not only is the Oculus on its way with an official release date, but the HTC Vive seems to also be nearing completion. I think those devices could really fulfil my current desire for immersive content which can be picked up and dropped quite quickly. I certainly hope so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2016-01-07, 8:15 pm

Yeah. I just turned 39 this past November. I'm no young buck anymore. While I can proudly say I've kept my youthful vigor well into my mid-to-late 30's, something that not a lot of people can say, the past couple of years I've really started to feel my age at times. I just don't have the stamina or free time anymore to keep up with teenagers on the internet, and MMOs are designed to reward time over skill - almost every time. GW1 was able to circumvent that as it was for the most part a pick-up-and-play endeavor aside from a few grinds here and there. GW2 is MMO grind to a tee. Maybe nowhere near as much as other MMOs out there on the market (and I'm sick of GW2 WoW transplants bringing that point up in GW2's defense all the time), but the grind that is there definitely adds a time requirement for keeping up in GW2. At this point I doubt ANet will remove most/all of the time-gating on rewards and content to change GW2 from a "some today, some tomorrow, some the next day" affair into the OG GW1 "whatever you like, however much you like, in however short a span you like" style, so I've all-but had to draw my line in the sand. To be fair it's not simply a GW2 issue either. It's becoming (become?) the trend all throughout gaming to string players along with content. Just not for me, man.

You are right, Link, in that this gameplay style doesn't necessarily make GW2 worse, but it's most certainly a different game than GW1 was. It's pretty much a sequel to GW1 in name and lore only. As I dig the Tyrian lore I'll always find the time and energy to at least keep up with the storyline, but my content completionist days are about done if they aren't already. I still haven't even come close to finishing up the HoT map achievements, and it hasn't bothered me one bit. (In years past I'd have one-weeker'ed all that shit!) I haven't bought a new character slot in over 2 years (not including the free slot from HoT), and I still have plenty of alts that aren't even geared in 80 exotics yet. Oh well.

I'm not so interested in VR due to the early pricetag, but hopefully it pans out and in 5-10 years the cost becomes more mass-market affordable. It's awesome technology but niche priced out of the gate. What I *am* interested in is the rumored new line of NVIDIA cards coming out within the next year or two that are supposedly huge jumps in performance and VRAM. With processor technology all-but bottlenecked at this point, this kind of GPU jump might be necessary for gaming to take the next step forward.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2016-01-19, 3:31 pm

i agree with both of you. My reprise has been console gaming. Maybe it is that grindomatic pewdiepie attitude that is taking over. Owell i still get to troll
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2016-01-20, 12:15 am

I definitely plan to check out the new Shatterer fight. Smile Warrior and Elementalist (scepter) are in line for buffs (although R.I.P. in peace Chronomancers and 1-button-win sword Revenants) so I'll probably be in-game a lot around that release. If we're being honest, the state of the game blog post didn't really elicit much enthusiasm from me. Not enough mention of their awareness and plans to fix the current sloppy/messy/buggy/uninspiring state of the game. The state of the game post made it clear that ANet was no longer going to focus on 'unsuccessful' content, which likely means the Super Adventure Box is all-but abandoned at this point, and that pains me so. It seems storyline-wise we're headed to Kralkatorrik next (and that means Crystal Desert and Palawa Joko!), so that will be exciting.

I did manage to grind out the 2800 gems this past week to buy those 5 shared inventory slots. (Wood and ores are still very valuable items to farm.) Those shared inventory slots are real convenient items to have even though ANet has gotten a bit too greedy with the price. You just know there will be 5-slot expansions for those (up to 20 max) over time as bags in general go up to 20 slots, so I wanted to get the first bunch out of the way. As with a lot of other people, I'd love to have that permanent bank access contract, but I'm sure as shit not gonna pay upwards of 2500-3000 gold for it. Right now I am using the copper-fed salvage kit, the mystic forge conduit, and the 3 infinite harvesting tools (incl. watchwork mining pick) in the slots. Works for me.

I plan to work on my PC backlog a little bit while I wait for the living story to pick back up in GW2. I bought both of the newest Wolfenstein games during the Holiday Steam Sale so I have those to look forward to (although NOT looking forward to ~45GB install size for each of them, lol). Blizzard just released a big patch for Diablo III so I'll probably check that out for a bit. Also, if you have a modern PC and haven't checked out the Dolphin emulator yet (Gamecube and Wii emulator), do so. For example, Metroid Prime in upscaled 1080p is incredible-looking. Shocked

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   2016-02-05, 4:20 pm

TideSwayer wrote:
if you have a modern PC and haven't checked out the Dolphin emulator yet (Gamecube and Wii emulator), do so. For example, Metroid Prime in upscaled 1080p is incredible-looking. Shocked

nice find, i will be abusing that software.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions   

Back to top Go down

Revenants are too cool / HoT Impressions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top