Share | 

Things From The 80's That Rocked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 6:42 am

Inspired by that brief 80's discussion in the All-Encompassing Must-See Videos thread:

Things From The 80's That Rocked:

Garbage Pail Kids:

I still have all mine from when I was a kid! Still in great condition too!

Awesome 80's Songs:

Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
Tears For Fears - Shout
Whitesnake - Is This Love
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out (From Rocky IV)
Huey Lewis & The News - If This Is It
Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City
Fleetwood Mac - Seven Wonders
Hall & Oates - Out Of Touch
Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out
Stryper - Honestly
Benny Mardones - Into The Night
Bobby Brown - On Our Own (where 'Too Hot To Handle, Too Cold To Hold' came from!)

The TV Show MacGyver:

That pic and description really sums up the show quite well, IMO.

The two video game systems I grew up on:

The Atari 2600: (Game shown is River Raid)

The 8-Bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES): (Game shown is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out)

A child Stacy Ferguson (you know her as Fergie) holding her own voice-wise with popular music acts of the 80's on the show Kids Incorporated:

Go For It
Trapped
Say You, Say Me
Restless
Only In My Dreams
Time After Time
I Get Weak
One Moment In Time
All This Time

Disney had huge hits in the modern era with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, but back then Kids Incorporated was their big hit. Stacy Ferguson was by far the best young singer on the show (just listen to her then... and now), but it had a lot of other good young singers on it too. In its later years a young Jennifer Love Hewitt even sung on it. Not many people remember that show though (or they've conveniently blacked it out from their memory, lol).

The original Transformers, including what Devastator is supposed to look like - not the bullshit bag of parts he looked like in the movie Transformers 2: Revenge Of The Fallen:

Seriously. They fucked up the Constructicons and Devastator, man! They're my favorites! Wow.

Chet Lemon, a player from the 1984 World Series-winning Detroit Tigers team who I loved to use in the NES RBI Baseball game:

Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 10:12 am

*sings*

Kidddds Incorporated....

K I D S

oh gosh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grace
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 12:03 pm

i think I have a few sheets worth of pail kids.. LOL

i miss playing atari. mountain king and catapillar were my favorites. and whatever that one was where you are in a jungle swinging from vines ... um.. pit fall? Very Happy

what about heman or thundercats or gi joe ? transformers was cool tho' (yes I have an older brother / im a bit tomboyish)

tho i think it might of been started in 70's.. i liked monchichis and shirt tales. and snorkels too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Ware
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 1:04 pm

/rolleyes. You failed to mention "You Can't Do That on Television" (can't get the damn link to work right now, maybe later). And Thriller - a.k.a. The Greatest Video of ALL TIME (fuck a Kanye West).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kodi Venomspike
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 1:09 pm

Paper Boy and Battle Toads on original nintendo FTW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grace
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 2:50 pm

Scott Ware wrote:
/rolleyes. You failed to mention "You Can't Do That on Television" (can't get the damn link to work right now, maybe later). And Thriller - a.k.a. The Greatest Video of ALL TIME (fuck a Kanye West).

all mj's vids were neat to me but yea i concur, thiller was and is awesome. vid and song. same difference.

/off topic still QQ'n or i'd say more...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-26, 9:30 pm

Scott Ware wrote:

Oh, believe you me. YCDTOT was one of my favorite shows as a kid. A couple of years ago I downloaded a mess of old episodes from Usenet (Crappy quality, but watchable nonetheless). That show's humor has aged pretty well. It's one of those shows that I wish would be put back on (somewhere) or be released on DVD.

One show Nickelodeon had that I remember watching when I was young was a show called Pinwheel. It was originally what the network itself was called. Basically, it was a supercharged Sesame Street that was on for 5 hours a day, every weekday morning. This show has been lost to the ages, but I still remember fondly a lot of the cartoon shorts and characters from it. As I haven't seen it since my early childhood, it probably hasn't aged well at all (although many kids shows are exempt from cultural changes like adult shows are), and it's something I'll never forget.

Here's the wikipedia Pinwheel page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinwheel_%28TV_series%29

As I wrote in my Intro thread, I'm a huge fan of the 80's so if I took the time to list everything that I loved, I'd probably still be writing the post. Smile

Grace wrote:
i think I have a few sheets worth of pail kids.. LOL

i miss playing atari. mountain king and catapillar were my favorites. and whatever that one was where you are in a jungle swinging from vines ... um.. pit fall?

That game was either Jungle Hunt or Pitfall.

Here's Jungle Hunt:

...based off the arcade game Jungle King: (which I still play a lot to this day on the MAME PC emulator)

They got sued by the Tarzan people and had to change the likeness. It was eventually changed in the actual arcade machine as well but the Atari 2600 Jungle Hunt was more widely-known.

Here's Pitfall:

Remember the avatar I was using on these forums up until recently? That was actually the box artwork for the Atari 2600 Pitfall game. Here it is again:

Atari 2600 games that IMO still hold up well to this day (most of 'em were too basic and quite honestly haven't):

Adventure - simplistic quest game that is still fun to mess around with.
River Raid - this game is pro, even today. One of Activision's finest games ever.
Yar's Revenge - this game will test your reflexes, even today. IMO the #1 Atari game ever made.
Atari ports of Q-Bert and Frogger - neither can hold a candle to the arcade versions, but they were solid ports.
Vanguard - a random-stages shmup that is better than the arcade version. There, I said it.
Kaboom - needed the Paddle controllers to play, but this game rocked.
Midnight Magic - came out late in Atari's lifespan, but it's a great pinball game for it.
Bump N' Jump - a port of the arcade version that looks nothing like it. Still fun as hell, and a bit more playable than the tough-as-nails arcade.
Solaris - probably the best Atari graphics ever. Check out a YouTube clip of someone playing it.

In college my friends and I got back into Atari. We had it, two NES systems, and my N64 hooked up in our dorm. You know those little blackboard-type things that are given out to college kids to put on their doors? Well, we used ours as a competition scoreboard. (Yes, even back then I organized all the contests.) Fun times.

Last edited by TideSwayer on 2010-01-27, 1:39 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 1:08 am

Quote :
Yes, even back then I organized all the contests.
I laughed, even though it's really not surprising. Maybe that's why I did laugh. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Ware
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 10:03 am

TideSawyer wrote:
One show Nickelodeon had that I remember watching when I was young was a show called Pinwheel. It was originally what the network itself was called. Basically, it was a supercharged Sesame Street that was on for 5 hours a day, every weekday morning. This show has been lost to the ages, but I still remember fondly a lot of the cartoon shorts and characters from it. As I haven't seen it since my early childhood, it probably hasn't aged well at all (although many kids shows are exempt from cultural changes like adult shows are), and it's something I'll never forget.

Here's the wikipedia Pinwheel page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinwheel_%28TV_series%29

DAMN YOU STEVE!!! I finally got that song out of my head and you bring it back. I had the damn theme song stuck in my head for YEARS. Ok, it was probably weeks, but I was a kid so that's years to me. Now, it all comes rushing back.

Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around....

I hope you sing this song until you go to a loony bin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
al habib
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 12:34 pm

My two cents:

One really good miniseries...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccknBnFfTk
...and specially memorable was this moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObQfWMgmIM&feature=related

And one of the best, most acid sitcoms ever...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKaJE4gjYg&feature=fvst

...and im surprised Steve didnt mentioned this but, yes, Back to the Future film trilogy (last one i think was in the 90', but they started in the 80')
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 12:41 pm

al habib wrote:
...and im surprised Steve didnt mentioned this but, yes, Back to the Future film trilogy (last one i think was in the 90', but they started in the 80')

I wanted to, but I could go on FOREVER about the BttF movies. Some of my most-beloved movies ever.

When I was a young lad in 1985, my parents took me to the movies to see Back To The Future 1. On release day, no less. Actually, I saw all of the BttF movies in the theatres. I own the BttF DVD boxset. There's a pretty good 'pop-up video' extra on the discs that gives you facts about the sets and storyline, etc., while you watch the movies themselves.

Did you know Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly (and even had some of the movie shot) before Michael J. Fox was brought in?

Most importantly...

ONLY FIVE YEARS 'TIL HOVERBOARDS!

Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 12:47 pm

Oh... and of course MTV, back when they still put music vids on. I think this one was the first to got to the air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
What could sound/look more 80' than that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
al habib
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 1:29 pm

As for video games, my first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum 48K (yes, that was 48 kilobytes TOTAL memory)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum
remember having to wait 5+ minutes to load a game from a cassette player, and the annoying sound it made... but it was like heaven when game finally loaded. My favuorite game ever i think was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klc0TtDrWYk
ULTIMATE rocked game wise at that time.

EDIT: Here, found a vid on game loading. It is on an AMSTRAD computer, but basically same thing. Enjoy... Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW2oAaU6YwY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
al habib
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 1:55 pm

TideSwayer wrote:

ONLY FIVE YEARS 'TIL HOVERBOARDS!

LOL... so maybe you should start procedure for patenting the whole idea... u know, to make a bit of a profit from it when they finally come out to market Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grace
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   2010-01-27, 2:05 pm

wow I was thinking of jungle hunt and pit fall as one game. but yea those. Very Happy I had gopher or whatever for atari but it just made me mad. Razz I was more a sega girl. but my friends and or cousins had nintendo.

pinwheel song.. I actually had to sing that for a show for the school. bleh. thank goodness its on vhs and not dvd or blurays... lolz. (hopes no one converts it.)

back to the future.. *smile*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things From The 80's That Rocked   

Back to top Go down

Things From The 80's That Rocked

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ECTOs Community Forums :: Hangout :: Entertainment Hotspot-