[ECTOs] PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amaretto creme
GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]   2012-02-22, 1:08 am

FUNNY THING HAPPENED TODAY...

While I was chillin' in the game in my Beacon's home...

My friends start saying they are getting disconnected, and in ToA, and in Lion's Arch, and every big city.

I figured out, through different things I hear while still in the game (when I wasn't being DC'ed myself, cause someone came in to Beacon's), that it was PLAYERS disconnecting others in the outposts and towns they were in.

Apparently, if you viewed the Hall of Heroes battle, it would disconnect you.... and everyone else (or almost everyone else?) in your district. Just by you trying to observe that pvp match...

And it happened for like... an hour and a half before they stopped it, or those doing it got bored/had to log off for the night.

Either way, it was kinda amusing, but all you had to do to get away from it, was go to a server other than America cause no one was doing it in the other ones. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TideSwayer
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]   2012-02-22, 1:44 am

I saw a thread on Guru about this earlier and didn't even bother logging in-game tonight as I knew I wouldn't get anything significant accomplished.

ANet is looking to make examples of the people who were abusing this 007 "exploit" to profit and/or harass others:

https://forum.guildwars.com/forum/forums/gamebugs/Server-crashes-on-observe

Gaile Gray wrote:
We are aware of the exploit and have taken Observer Mode offline. We will re-enable the system once we have ascertained that the exploit is no longer an issue.

Thank you for your reports, and thank you also for your patience as we complete the work we need to do to close the exploit and deal with those who abused it.

P.S. Using an exploit results in account termination.

Gaile Gray wrote:
If anyone happened to notice someone taunting or threatening other players with this exploit, I’d very much appreciate if you send me their name(s) via Private Message. Please do not post them here. And please be aware that before any action is taken on any account, we will fully verify that person’s involvement.

Thank you.

Gaile Gray wrote:
I don’t think we’re ready to talk about who will be banned and who will not be banned. We’ll be looking into this matter over the next couple of days, I’m sure.

But do consider our perspective: Commonly, the first thing that a guilty person says is, “I was just testing it!” Next most common are, “You guys closed it before I had a chance to report” or, of course, “Someone else was on my account.”

I don’t mean to make light of using an exploit. It really is a serious issue for us, and we take it extremely seriously. As of tonight, players have been banned and many more will be banned over the next couple of days. Please give us some time to sort this out.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray wrote:
And please consider this: What would it be like, if everyone who heard “You can crash the server if you do A-B-C” ran out and did it? More importantly, why would you do it? It’s like “Hey, I hear you can get electrocuted if you stick your finger in this socket.” Does anyone “test” that?

If you hear about an exploit, tell us via any means on the contact Support page. (Obviously, you shouldn’t post an exploit in the forums.) At the very least, PM us here, although a ticket or email is preferable.

And please stop speculating on what will happen to those who “tested” the exploit. That matter remains in the hands of ArenaNet and NCsoft, and it doesn’t serve any purpose to use this official forum as a hotbed of speculation and guesswork. I am closing this thread. Please do not start a new one on this or any related subject. Thank you.

GOD Member
GOD Member

PostSubject: Re: Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]   2012-02-22, 9:37 am

Lol Yeah, it was kinda weird. Oh well. I'm glad they took it down though, definitely. I can't believe it took them over like... 2 hours to do so... It was the Hall of Heroes battle observation. All the other ones were fine, from what I heard, but that is the one that did the DCing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]   

Back to top Go down

Mass 007 Disconnects [ANet Dusts Off The Ol' Banhammer]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top